Lighting

What brand lights do you guys use in the studio for bridal

portraits? I have been shooting outdoor bridal portraits but have

been asked lately by several brides about indoor sessions. I have a

place to shoot indoors but no lighting equipment. Can anyone lead

me in the right direction as far as what I should get? I've heard

Norman, Bowens, JLT, and Photogenic are some of the better ones.

Thanks!

I have a Dynalite corded pack kit, a Dynalite UNI400 Jr. and a portable Norman 200B. It's going to be hard for anyone to lead you in the right direction because there are many, many kits, all of which are great for differing needs.

For instance, if you want to be able to take the lights on location, you should consider battery powered kits or kits that can convert to battery power. If not, any number of corded pack kits would work wonderfully, depending on how much you want to spend. Among the kits that are battery powered and portable, some are more so than others. Some of these are Lumedyne, Norman and I've heard good things about Alien Bees, which have a battery option but are probably more at home in the studio (?). You can even use Quantum Q flashes as studio lights (the X models), which can be taken on location and even double as on-camera flashes/backups.

I would maybe go to B&H's website and just go through their lighting department. If you have questions about any ones you see there, google the website of the manufacturer. Then do a search on user opinions on your short list.