Suggestion to Vary the Content of the Default TRP

bens

I enjoy looking at a variety of photo genres that rarely get into the

default TRP page, such as street and documentary photos. I also have

read complaints that the TRP is dominated by particular types of

photos -- landscape, insects and nudes come to mind, which make the

TRP somewhat repetitive and, at times, boring.

This led me to a thought -- if possible, I suggest displaying the

leading photos in each critique request category in the TRP, one

after the other in a rotation through the genres that then loops back

around again.

This could be better for the site's purposes, as it could make the

TRP more interesting to a wider pool of photographers than does the

present TRP, and arguably make it more difficult to "stack" the TRP

as some suspect occurs at times.

To clarify, I suggest displaying the leading photos in each category one after the other in the same default TRP page, even if some photos in any one category rate higher than those in another category. The page would list the top-rated in each category before going to the second-highest in each category, etc.

That's okay Barry, it doesn't need a response necessarily, just an open mind that is listening. Having thought of it, I just thought it was worth suggesting. The one thing that keeps me coming back to the site right now is the chance to view some quality images of different types easily. So its particularly frustating to see the same kinds of images over and over again in the default TRP. I think more variety would help a lot in a number of ways, as I've already said.

Ben, a good idea, but I fear that what you suggest is not the TRP, but something else. I for one believe it worthy but the TRP caters for what the majority want to see, and the majority pay the bills.

I think you're suggestion would be aptly named TRPC, that is TRP by category. The major obstacle I can see is that certain categorys get far more submissions than others, some maybe none in a day. If the photos were in turn the highest, next highest etc per category this may not work over a 3 day period. Some categories would have a very short shelf life, and others a much longer one. That's if I understand you correctly.

A lot of people mislabel their images. Check out the top 20 all time "street" and "abstract" pages.

A good idea in theory, but in addition to the the problem mentioned above, the additional sort would probably take up too much processing time.

Better to change the TRP default sort daily or weekly rather than annually.

Ben -- perhaps this rotation in the default TRP could be limited to the top dozen categories or so, where there are significant postings?

<br><br>

Carl -- nothing's perfect, the question is whether there would be an improvement. If my suggestion is impractical from a programming point of view, changing the TRP regularly, such as by category, would be an improvement I think. Right now, I lose enthusiasm quickly when I go through it as I find only 3 or 4 genres well represented with photos featuring views and themes seen many times before, and the predictable ones at that.

<br><br>

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.