lens hood for EF 50/1.8

Xinca

If you're asking about the EF 50 1.8 (original, aka MK I), there are several in

production hoods that fit. The EF 50 1.8 has been out of production since the early 90s,

so it's difficult to find the original ES-65 lens hood. Unfortunately, there are three good

substitutes that clip-on just like the original: the EW-65 II, ET-65 III and ES 65-III.

The EW-65 II is the hood for the EF 35 2.0, so it's on the small side. The ES-65 III is sold

as the hood for the TS-E 90 2.8 but fits perfectly and affords excellent protection. It's

actually idential to the origial ES 65 save the rayon flocking. The ET-65 III is the hood used

for the EF 70-210 USM, EF 100-300 USM, EF 85 1.8 USM and EF 100 2.0 USM. Although it

looks too big, I have used the ET-65 III with this lens for years and it gives the maximum

amount of protection possible without vignetting, plus it looks cool.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The ET-65II also fits the 50/1.8 MkI lens, as well as the 75-300/4-5.6IS, even though it's not specified for either. I think it's the original hood for the 100-300 USM.

Adorama stocks a bunch of generic "screw-in" metal and rubber hoods. Just about any of them should work fine on the 50/1.8 II and they're all cheaper than the Canon hoods.

A rubber hood might be a good idea for the 50/1.8. The lens is very susceptible to shocks to the barrel. Since the clip on hood and metal adaptor extend the barrel considerably they make such bangs more likely. I have the Canon hood and have not experienced any problems but there are a number of reports of damaged lenses resulting from minor shocks.