Problem with B+W Kaesemann polarizing filter for 6x7 (67mm)

leorossi

I finally got one of these on eBay, from a German shop. I have never

owned a B+W Kaesemann filter and I don't know how to judge a

defective item. The other B+W filter I previously discussed on these

pages is a linear top-pol in an altogether different league (it

seems).

A disquieting feeling started to creep over me upon opening the

package when I noticed: a) the rim of the brass mounting ring was

somehow oily and sticking to the inner surface of the plastic case b)

placing the filter perpendicularly under a light source - a simple

100 watt bulb - and looking at the light reflected on the glass, I

could see one of the two inner glass surfaces run by 'creases' (like

the creased surface of a calm sea, so to speak) not at all regularly.

However, these creases are not visible once I place the filter

against the light and look through it.

I am calling upon your expertise, dear photo.net members, in order to

understand whether this is a defect, a degrading process of something

in the glass or a common peculiarity of this type of filters. Thank

you so much in advance.

Leo,

If in doubt, best person(s) to ask is Schneider Optics USA in Long Island, NY. Do a Yahoo! or Goggle search and ask their technical department.

I beleive that the Kaesemann filter consists of polarizing laminate film. That might explain why you see the creases.

Evan

All Polarizing filters consist of a 'plastic' foil (the active bit) laminated betwen two glass blanks, whiche merely serve as protection for the foil.<br>Filters according to Käsemann are the same, but have an extra seal, preventing moisture to creep in between the glass (which will, when it does, destroy the polarizing foil).<br><br>I don't know what it is your filter is showing. Could be the foil itself decomposing, oozing out someting like a platicizing agent? Maybe it was kept too hot?<br>Can you check it against another polarizer, see if when used in crossed-tandem*, the crease pattern also shows up? If not, and nothing else shows up looking through it, i guess there is little to worry about.<br><br>* This will not work if the B+W is a circular polarizer, unless you hold with it the right side facing the other polarizer. If you do not get the expected darkening, flip it.

This was discussed in another thread. The quarter-wave plate in a circular polarizer gives the illusion of wrinkles when observed from the lens side. It is caused by light passing through the QW plate twice. The "wrinkles" are not visible from the objective side, nor in transmission. A Kaesemann filter is completely sealed - the film is bonded to both glass surfaces.

Leo there is a good chance it is quite normal.

Commenting "blind" here 'cause I can't see it. But I have a few that I bought from the importer and when I inspected the 2 I bought on site I noticed that "crease" pattern more in one than the other.

I and the sales manager looked at them carefully and he commented that this "wavy" pattern is normal and is a visual characteristic of the film.

These are top drawer Pol filters and the technician there took one look and said perfectly normal (I know this firm well and they really look after me so were not just brushing me off).

However one did have an apparent tear in the film (very very small) and they swapped it for another which alos had that creasing/wavy appearance.

Anyway they all work perfectly well.

With regard to "oily" stuff you mention, coincidently I did notice that on one of mine - I wiped it and it's never worried ma again (and I am a bit fussy).

So, go take photos with it and see what the results are. But, as best as I can comment from here, I think both characteristics are normal.

I have four in total and they have varying degrees of what you comment on. I also have one Canon and one Hoya MC and these have no such oil and no such "wavy/creasing" and B&W told me that these are characteristics of Kaesemann types (which are far more durable).

Good luck.

Simon, thank you so much for your feedback. I sent a letter to Schneider Optics asking for advice, and as soon as reply comes I'm posting it. I thought it was funny that something so expensive should have such anxiety-inducing characteristics (however, to be fair, the brass mount is perfect). Jim: oil might be some kind of lubricant for the rotating ring indeed. Seller should send a reply too about it.

Leo,

I have several Kasesemann filters and all of them do not have any problems such as the ones you described. No leakage or creases within the foil. I hope that your problem will be resolved promptly and in your favoe by Schnieder.

Evan, Q.G., Edward, thanks for your feedback. I am still waiting for some kind of reply from the people at Schneider's - which I'm afraid hasn't made it here yet and most certainly won't until the weekend is past. I will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...