AC power for SB800

errol young

I asked this last year and am still not happy. I want to power my

SB800 on AC. Last year I got "the 800 is a portable so it does not

have an adaptor" but I bought one for the D70.

I also got the reply, Get a Quantum power pack but I do not want to

lug it around and it will run out eventually.

I am shooting Santa Clause (big target) in a mall so I need fast

recycling and lots of flashes. Started to use Lithium batteries. This

might help but I still want to get it on AC for reliability.

Any suggestions?

Errol

Hi Errol,

Nikon does not make AC power adapter for SB-800, and perhaps nobody makes one. This is why you did not get any positive answer last year, and perhaps you will not get any this year.

I suggest you stop being unhappy, and change to being happy, that is if you can. You must be happy for the children, and the Santa Clause, as that is one very happy occasion to shoot. That is you should at least pretend to be happy. (smile).

Since there are much better professional strobes that have AC power, seems that market for AC adapter for SB-800 is small, and perhaps nobody will make one soon enough for this Christmas season.

I would suggest getting a larger battery charger (e.g. 10 AA baterries charger from Fry's Electronics), for Nickel-Cadmium and Nickel-Manganise rechargeabe batteries, and keep charging new set of baterries (keep the children away), while shooting. Make sure you get so called "Quick charger" as they do charge within 1 to 2 hours (as opposed to 8 hours), and that is perhaps the time of shooting that would deplete you flash batteries. You would need to start with 2 or 3 sets of 6 AA batteries fully charged, then as the day goes by, you will recharge one set at a time (or two if you get bigger charger), and will always have enough power to shoot.

More hassle ? YES, but what else can you do? except getting AC powered strobe.

If you are an electronic engineer, you could modify some existing AC Power Supply output cable that produces 9 Volts DC with sufficient power (with high start-up charge surge current allowed, as needed for SB-800). You would have to provide your own way to hook up to the internals of the SB-800. I would not recommend this, as it could be even more hassle to tangle with power supply cables.

Good luck.

The SB800 was designed as a portable flash unit to be used with a battery pack. So if you are going to be in a single place the SB800 should not be your choice. Its like trying to use sheet film to shoot sports photography, it is possible but not the very best if you want speed.

I suggest you get a monolight.

Some different manufacturers are Elinchrom, Hensel, Sunpak, Speedotron, Profoto, etc. Prices will go from $300 to $2000 maybe.

Your options with an SB800 are limited, and I have not seen an AC adapter. I agree that the best approach is to use a Quantum Turbo, which provides high voltage directly to the SB800 capacitors (the internal AA batteries provide the control power). With a Turbo 2x2, I get about 600 full-power pops on an SB800 - much more for partial-power pops. The recycling time is very fast - 2-3 seconds for full-power, instantaneous for fill flash. With a low voltage, battery replacement pack, the recycle time is not improved - 5-7 seconds.

A spare, charged battery or two for the D70 is more convenient than an AC power supply - fewer cords. You get a lot of shots out of a D70 battery.

Rather than use an SB800 on the camera, consider renting a monolight. You'd get better light and AC operation at once. A Speedotron Force 10 recycles in about 1 second (and beeps) at full power. This is your best option if you expect to shoot more than 500 pictures a day.

In a setup shot like this, use a tripod, set the camera on manual (focus and exposure) for consistency, and use a flash meter. Otherwise every shot will be different and you will get a lot of clunkers. There's no reason you'd have to carry the Turbo in this situation - just hang it from the light stand (or tripod).

Quantum, definitely. Unless you're taking more than 500-1,000 shots per session (depending on flash output), it's unlikely you'll run down the rechargeable Quantum. I fired 500 shots in TTL mode at my niece's wedding and didn't come anywhere close to running down the Quantum with my SB-800.

If you live near any pro shops you might be able to rent a couple. They rent for five bucks a day in my area, including the battery-to-flash cord.

AA NiMH cells, even with the fifth compartment, isn't the best solution for heavy shooting. Too much fumbling with little batteries at inopportune moments.

The Quantum isn't bad on a belt pack or supported with suspenders, but as Edward suggested it can be slung from a tripod.

Thanks for the answers. The 800 is actually great with the d70 because I can adapt the exposure in Capture. We have had newborns and groups of 10 wanting pics with santa so the kit lens works. The Manifrotto Tripod is good for holding the camera safe between shots and it looks so professional,

No worries bout camera batteries with the AC adaptor. It is not a hassle. That is why I would like to get the flash set up for that. Perhaps some third party will read my cry and then make one.

Thanks again.

Errol

Just noticed that the quantum solution would cost me close to $1,000CND while I thought that nikon was ripping me off for the EH-5 at $100.

I would pay $100 for an SB800 adaptor.

QUANTUM QQTB TURBO BATTERY 325V

QUANTUM Turbo Battery. High performance flash power. Turbo delivers non-stop flash. Shoot faster than ever bef... 131AMP025 $729.99

A quick search on the "Big E" auction site showed 9 Quantum Turbos were sold recently for less than 210 dollars US, which will be around $250 canadian dollars. If you're willing to spend $100 for an adapter, you can spend $250 and have the equivalent. (You pretty much can't wear the thing out-I have one and shooting 10 rolls at wedding doesn't even get it half way down.) Plus it's portable! The cables run about 25 bucks or so. I got my cable on Ebayyy too.

D

You could buy a regulated power supply from an electronics

store. Most will be 13.8v for powering automotive accessories.

Youd have to reduce the voltage. This could be risky. If its

variable it might get changed accidentally and cause an over-voltage

situation for the logical circuits of the SB-800. Variable power

supplies exist, same risk. You can surely find a power module for

another product to power the SB-800 with 6v and the adequate

milliamps.<br>

<br>

Even if you can find a safe solution I cant see AC power

for an SB-800 as a desirable solution. Like others Id use a

battery solution such as a made for the purpose gel cell or NiMH

battery pack or a monolight.<br>

<br>

I agree with Edward Ingolds last paragraph above. If you

skimmed it quickly you might give it a reread.<br>

<br>

Ellis Veners link to the Digital Camera Battery at...<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com" target="_new"><u>http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com</u></a>

<br>

<br>

...looks interesting.<br>

<br>

<em>Started to use Lithium batteries. --Errol Young<br>

</em><br>

Ouch! The price. These should be very reliable. The will die

suddenly but so will NiMH batteries.<br>

<br>

I would let go of the AC power idea. It seems to me that powering

an SB-800 with AC gives the worst of both. Power cords and

relatively low power compared to a monolight.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Buy the Nikon adapter... "The Nikon SD-8A Battery Pack takes six "AA" alkaline, lithium or NiCad batteries. It can be used with the SB-11, SB-22, SB-25, SB-26, SB-27, SB-28, SB-28DX, SB-80DX, & SB-800 Speedlights, as wel as the SK-6A Power Bracket. Total flash capacity per round of batteries is doubled, and flash recycling time will be cut by 60-75%. Batteries must be in place in the flash in order to operate. "

I suspect you could get even fancier and cut the cable to the pack, and replace it with a 9V DC connection from AC (need to guess current requirements, risky), or replace it with a battery pack with 6 D size cells (easily done with Radio Shack parts), low risk).

But, personally, i think just using this with really good capacity NIMH AA's would work fine for you...

pat<div>00EMQB-26745284.jpg.86da1047f7b862fe0b0484280c0ef124.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...
I have to agree with Errol. Go ahead and laugh! I have two SB-25s and an SB-80DX, as well as brackets to hold umbrellas, flash heads, and acessories to stands. I frequently carry two strobes with me to light on the fly. I have twice shot a group greater than 25 with two strobes bounced off the ceiling at 1/2 power. Not as good as a monolight, but it did the job. I think I might have cranked the iso up to 400 and used f/8 to get enough light. For product shots in my meager studio I always use an SB-80DX on manual on a boom stand. It's just convenient. The heads are small, and the lowest power settings are low enough that I can put the head very close to the subject. I'd buy three AC/DC supplies at $50 (american) if they were available. It would be much cheaper than even one alien-bees head, and for my purposes, more convenient.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, here are some CRAZY(?) ideas. Your set up is static. Your camera already is hooked to

AC. You want AC to power the flash, too. That was the original post. How about this.

Get a 6 volt lead acid maintenance free tractor battery. Buy an sd-8A ( or get an SD-8 and

trim it to size carefully with dremel tools) and cut the cable and attach it to the tractor

battery. You now have one impressive 6 volt battery. Bet you won't deplete that anytime

soon. Ok, wow, you did deplete it. Ok, then get a 12 volt car battery and buy a 12vDC-

6vDC converter and cable that sucker to the flash. Dang, still depleted it? Then get an 8D

12v Marine battery and use it with the DC-DC converter. It only weighs about 200 pounds

but I bet you you won't deplete that in a day's shoot!!! Actually, the tractor 6 volt battery

might be a good idea! I have no idea whether the flash recyle charging amps will be

slowed down by these combinations. If AA's work, then I sure can't see why this wouldn't.

And I assume this is cheaper than a new TURBO battery or the Turbo AC solution

(although the Turbo AC unit sounds pretty dang interesting!!).

Troup

• 11 months later...

<p>Why is it not possible to use a 110 AC to 6.5VDC 2100mA converter patched directly into the battery compartment of an SB 800 via a Quantum Instruments XKZ3 Dedicated Module (Connection Cable)?<br>

Here are some links<br>

http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316570-REG/Quantum_Instruments_XKZ3_XKZ3_Locking_Module.html<br>

I would like to know why this will not work as long as the polarity is correct but as I am not an electronics engineer there may be good reasons. <br>

Some one please explain. Thanks, JR</p>

<p>Why is it not possible to use a 110 AC to 6.5VDC 2100mA converter patched directly into the battery compartment of an SB 800 via a Quantum Instruments XKZ3 Dedicated Module (Connection Cable)?<br>

Here are some links<br>

http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316570-REG/Quantum_Instruments_XKZ3_XKZ3_Locking_Module.html<br>

I would like to know why this will not work as long as the polarity is correct but as I am not an electronics engineer there may be good reasons. <br>

Some one please explain. Thanks, JR</p>

<p>Link to image of Quantum Instruments XKZ3 Dedicated Module (Connection Cable)<br>

did not get into my question above so I am reposting.<br>

<!--StartFragment-->

<p >"Why is it not possible to use a 110 AC to 6.5VDC 2100mA converter patched directly into the battery compartment of an SB 800 via a Quantum Instruments XKZ3 Dedicated Module (Connection Cable)?</p>

<p >Here are some links</p>

<p ><strong><a href="http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm">http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm</a></strong></p>

<p ><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316570-REG/Quantum_Instruments_XKZ3_XKZ3_Locking_Module.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316570-REG/Quantum_Instruments_XKZ3_XKZ3_Locking_Module.html</a><br /></strong></p>

<p > I would like to know why this will not work as long as the polarity is correct but as I am not an electronics engineer there may be good reasons. </p>

<p >Some one please explain. Thanks, JR"</p>

<!--EndFragment--> </p>

<p>Link to image of Quantum Instruments XKZ3 Dedicated Module (Connection Cable)<br>

did not get into my question above so I am reposting.<br>

<!--StartFragment-->

<p >"Why is it not possible to use a 110 AC to 6.5VDC 2100mA converter patched directly into the battery compartment of an SB 800 via a Quantum Instruments XKZ3 Dedicated Module (Connection Cable)?</p>

<p >Here are some links</p>

<p ><strong><a href="http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm">http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm</a></strong></p>

<p ><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316570-REG/Quantum_Instruments_XKZ3_XKZ3_Locking_Module.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316570-REG/Quantum_Instruments_XKZ3_XKZ3_Locking_Module.html</a><br /></strong></p>

<p > I would like to know why this will not work as long as the polarity is correct but as I am not an electronics engineer there may be good reasons. </p>

<p >Some one please explain. Thanks, JR"</p>

<!--EndFragment--> </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I want to do the same thing. I will be shooting in a mall and my setup is static and off camera wireless, (minimum 2 sets). I want to use SB800 to be able to control flash output remotely without having to access the flash unit between shots which itself will be inside a softbox.</p>

<p>I am not an engineer but I think a 6v, 2500mA ac/dc power adapter will do the trick. I havent tried it yet but I will. I will need to fit the cables to the battery chamber to avoid the need to also keep batteries in the chamber if I use the front plug of the SB800.<br>

I hope this will work because this is the best way to go for me.</p>

<p>Murat</p>

<p>I used a 5-24 volt adjustable laptop power adapter set to 6V, 7A. Recycling times are 3,75 sec for full power; 1,5 sec for 1/2 power, and instantly for 1/4 power. Setting the adapter to 7V, 7A reduces the recycling time by roughly 20%, but I don't know if it is healty. I made the battery adapter out of wood as show in the attached image. I tried it on a Vivitar flash to determine polarity and stability before I used it on my SB80DX and SB800. I didn't figure any downsides yet.<br>

<br /> Murat</p><div>00Spkg-118509884.jpg.48c4b762c519a05fd2508fc74e663787.jpg</div>

<p>As the SB800 gets phased out and we are left only with the super expensive SB-900, then I can see where it makes more sense to simply purchase an AC light or strobe. I still like the idea that I could use AC on my Nikon flash when I want to or internal/external batteries when I want to. If someone wanted to figure it out, they could work a simply logic circuit into the external AC/DC box they put together that counts number of flashes and the time period in which those flashes were taken. The circuit could then instigate a waiting period before any more flashes could be taken in order to prevent the flash from melting. And a sound device or flashing led could be used to show you were approaching the cut-off, etc, etc. Guess I'll leave that up to someone else to invent! I'm going to go make some images now!</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>i have being trying to get my sb800 to work on the front power socket but it will not have gone upto 7 volts still no joy does anybody now what the power should be based it on the 5 battery setup 5x1.5<br>

centre pin positive right pin negitive left for flash<br>

test us some of you have done through the battery bay at full power it takes 6 volts at over 2 amps<br>

under normal flash 500ma will be fine.<br>

just being testing again the sb will run quit happy at 5 volts so get yourself a atx power supply and use the 5 volt rail plenty amps and cheap may need to do small mod to keep atx psu running.</p>