Tokina 28-70 ATX - Any photos?

watermelon

Hiya, only found snippets about this lens on the web but most apear to

be highly praising. Those, the good price I found and its f/2.6

apperture have led me to order one...

In the mean time, does anyone have any photos taken with this lens or

other comments?

Thanks a lot, look forward to them...

I could not find this lens in there ATX line up. But there is one in there ATX pro line 28-80mm 2.8f. This is the lens I own and have been very happy with it I have found it to be very well made and it has a nice touch when using manuel focus. I feel that it is as sharp as my Nikon 80 to 200mm f2.8 lens. hope this helps. They are also a bagain on ebay. I bought mine new at around 600 and saved a bundle by not buying the Nikon version. I have found tokina lens to be very good That 12mm to 35mm is on my short list to buy. Most of the shots in my Italy 2000 folder were shot with this lens.

Tokina have made a few different fast aperture AT-X standard zoom lenses over the years. In chronological order:

<br><br>

35-70mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro<br>

28-80mm f/2.6-2.8 AT-X Pro<br>

28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro<br>

28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X ProSV

<br><br>

Currently they sell both the 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro and 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X ProSV. The ProSV is cheaper and not as good optically. I personally would go for either version of the 28-80. The 35-70 ain't a bad deal if you find it for cheap. I think it was only a manual focus AI-S mount lens, not sure if there was ever an auto focus version.

<br><br>

Oh, and people will get the focal lengths mixed up and call their 28-80 a 28-70, which is why you'll see stuff floating around about a 28-70/2.6 or some nonsense. The lenses I listed above are the ones that actually exist, at least as far as I know.

The Tokina AF 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 AT-X Pro II does exist I have had mine in Canon EOS mount since around 1998. It is a well constructed lens but the down side is that it is heavy, the AF speed is not as fast as the Canon USM lenses so I would guess that AF is not as fast as the latest Nikon pro lenses either. The lens seems fine optically and 2.8 is useful in low light. Some users report that the lens is too soft at 2.8 others say that it is fine. I personaly found it to be fine but then I don't use slow slide films or bother with a tripod that much most of what I shoot is hand help with faster films.

Hey Andrew,

I got one this lens and its sharp from f4 upwards. Yes f2.8 is soft but seems to vary as with any other third party product quality control is an issue. This lens works well with in range. Focus near infinity is a little disappointing. Bokeh is something to get used to.

Ummm one thing that stop me from using this all the time is that I broke the clutch manual focus within a month. Very easily be done if it did not click properly and the AF is activated.

I still use it at time but only with AF. Oh in the end you wish it can focuse closer to 0.5m than 0.7m.

wish you the best with your purchase.

• 4 weeks later...
I have had the Tokina ATX Pro f2.8 28 - 70mm(not SV) since 1998. I bought it because at the time I couldn't get the equivalent Canon for the specific purpose of dance photography with all its inherent difficulties i.e. fast moving subjects, requiring perfect position and low tungsten light. It is still one of my favourite most used lenses and I challenge anyone to see the difference in the results produced by this and the equivalent Canon. The weight is no problem (I am used to it) and I believe is actually an advantage as it is sturdy and solid and you know exactly where you are with it. Another huge advantage is that it extends within the lens itself. Great fan of this lens.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

<p>The lens comes in many generations and there are at least 5 variation over the last 20 years. There are two basic series of design with one being a classic push/pull clutch focus and the other being internal focus only with focus override at the camera body. Both of them have very similar performance and all of them are very good at f4 or higher. The f2.8 maximum (as well as 2.6 on some models) are a bit soft but nice to have when you really need the extra DOF shallowness or in low lighting. By f4 however, it is as sharp as any $1000+ Nikon lens, and the lens series are all still made in Japan with body of the lens mostly in precision machined metal, unlike a lot of lens today. It's a value leader in the category in my view, and performance is awesome if you use this zoom range frequently. <br>

It is a configured FX, Full Frame, Film lens, and as such it's brilliant.<br /><br />There a some things to be noted however, which are not faults but a character of this lens which may be of importance for some fields.<br /><br />- The lens has a minimum focus distance of 0.7m. This is rather far for some of you who need it for macro or confined area shooting. (by today's standards for this class of 28-70/80 range lenses) I.E. shooting something in front of you like food on a table, or for product photography for general use.<br /><br />- The telephoto end is tack sharp at max of 70mm (or 80 in some models) but none of the variation has any vibration control, so hand-held photography in low light, long zoom shots will need a tripod more often than a lot of lens with VC systems that have a higher aperture ranges (and cheaper at times too). <br />For example, a Nikon 18-105 VR or 24-70 VR may be about the same price with min aperture of higher 3.5...but with VR systems holding the image steady for 3-4 stops equivalent, will be much more stable for low light situations.</p><div>00bw4V-542079684.thumb.jpg.dfde3a91781da1ae28f76569269275a6.jpg</div>