More questions....Original F-1 problems...

sergio_ortega7

Sorry to be asking all these basic questions, but a friend's son is

trying to buy some used FD equipment and he has several questions.

You folks have been so very kind and have answered my questions

quickly and I hate to try your collective patience.

The young man ordered an original F-1 from a large used seller, and

he's asked me to inspect it. The camera is in good shape except for

a couple of issues and potential problems:

-The Servo EE finder slot cover plate is missing, leaving a rather

large opening alongside the mirror box. I called the seller, he

tells me this is "common to all older F-1 bodies", and will not hurt

anything; I see it as a dust and dirt collection point, but then I

tend to worry too much about these things. What do you folks think?

-The little, clear plastic window covering the ASA speed numbers

atop the shutter speed dial is missing. Seller also tells me this

is "no big thing", but it also appears to be a dust/dirt entry point

and may cause problems. Your thoughts?

I know these are minor issues, and don't affect the functioning of

the camera. Could they be easily repaired (if parts are

available)?

The body seems to be in fine shape cosmetically and mechanically,

but I hesitate advising him to keep it given the potential of

dust/dirt entering the body at these two points. Are these two

things critical?

Thanks again, SO.

As an F-1 (2nd version) owner, I don't think either problem is a show stopper. Mine has never had a window over the film speed indicator on the shutter dial. That missing cover would bother me more. I'd carefully put a piece of black electrician's tape over the slot. Almost any F-1, any version, is an OLD camera. Shell out for a CLA and enjoy the thing for the rest of your life. Camerarepairjapan.com did a fine job on mine. They may even be able to replace the EE cover from spare parts.

Both of you are correct about the open slot.

After further inspection of the body this morning after posting, apparently dust or grit has already entered through the missing EE finder slot cover. The aperture needle in the viewfinder is intermitently sticking at the topmost position of its travel (smallest aperture position on lens). It happens every third or fourth time the aperture ring is turned to the smallest aperture on the lens. A couple of knocks on the bottom plate with your palm seems to free it up and it works again. I can actually see the little lever through the opening on the side of the mirror box as you move the lens through its aperture range, and it is clearly sticking.

I'll see what the cost of a good CLA will be, advise the young man of his options, and see if he'd be better off with either a better condition body, or another FD body altogether.

Thanks again for your immediate responses. Sergio.

I've owned eight F-1 bodies (have three now) of the first two (mechanical) versions. I also have about every piece of technical literature that applies to these bodies. I can assure you that there is no plastic cover over the film speed window on these bodies, so don't worry that you have a missing part there. If you could see the exploded view of the shutter speed dial assembly in the service manual, you would see that there is no path there for the intrusion of dust or dirt into the guts of the body.

As for the missing Servo-EE port cover, your dealer is wrong in saying that this part is commonly missing. I've seen a few that have lost this cover, but most of these bodies do have the part intact. As a matter of function, the missing cover will allow the intrusion of dust and dirt over time, so a piece of tape would be helpful as a temporary fix. If the camera were mine, I'd contact whomever was going to do your CLA and check whether they have a replacement part. Parts for F-1 and F-1n bodies are becoming increasingly difficult to find, as Canon seems to have liquidated nearly all of their inventory in the past three or four years.

Thanks, Mark.

I was not aware that these cameras did not use a clear plastic window cover over the ASA numbers on the shutter speed dial. I had compared it to my friend's TLb (the one her son was not satisfied with because it was not a "pro" camera) and it does have the window on the shutter speed dial, as has every other similarly designed 35mm SLR I've owned. That's an interesting design feature, and one even the dealer was not aware of. Live and learn.

This has to do with price. You can find near-perfect F1s at prices approximating CLA by good shops (ie $150-175).

A greater concern than plastic bits is the functionality/accuracy of the meter and the required updated battery. Many or most old F1s suffer nonfunctional or poor meters, requiring significant repair...most shops simply don't have the skills.