Anybody have the M21/2.8 ASPH?

benni

I just purchased one of these second hand and, being a bit paranoid,

have one question regarding this lens.

Fully open, at f2.8, looking through the front element, I can still

see parts of the aperture-blades, i.e. they don't completely "retract".

Is that normal??

Many Thanks!

While I do not own a 21/2.8, it is quite a common effect for lenses to show aperture blades even when wide open. This includes Leica lenses like the Elmar-C 90/4 and some Zeiss SLR lenses. If the aperture would open completely, then this results in some vignetting, this is I guess why the producers chose to leave it 'half-closed'.

I had the opportunity to purchase one of these at dealer cost this summer. Even with this savings, it was very expensive, but I suspect I will always kick myself for not pursueing the opportunity. With the anticipated crop factor for digital cameras, this focal length should have some more practical use outside of the film arena.

This is very common with Leica lenses. The apertures are calibrated precisely at the factory and if it means the maximum aperture still has some protrusion of the aperture blades, that's the way they do it. Practically speaking, it's of no consequence. Theoretically, the slightly protruding blades could contribute to reflections (ghosting, a form of flare due to reflects off the aperture blades) but this is a really minor point. I would say don't worry about it, that's the way the lens was made.

As I use my 21mm ELmarit I sometimes think it might be interesting to upgrade to the newer 21 ASPH. But then I see the results and put away any thought of upgrading. (Good! More pennies saved for the new 75mm Summicron.)

Yes, the 21 ASPH must be better wide open, but the older Elmarit continues to dazzle without even breathing hard. (As you may know, the first Elmarit was Leica's first crack as designing and building a lens at the 21mm focal length.)