candle lit ceremony

steve_gibbs1

The ceremony I am shooting this weekend will be candle lit in someones

home (at night). I shoot digital (Fuji S3's) but I can pull out the old SQ-Ai if

needed. They said they would rather have a flash popping than not have the

photos, but I think that will really be disturbing to guests. They said there will

be "a lot" of candles, but I just don't think it's going to be enough for ambient.

All my lenses are at least 2.8 AF-S, and I have a manual 135 f/1.2 for

desperate measures.

Anybody ever shot one in candle light?

Steve,

I would suggest obtaining something along the lines of a 50mm 1.4 for this type of stuff. If you must and if you had the room that allowed for it, use the 135 1.2 wide open at 3200 speed. However, i would do a little bit of both. Since it is going to be a room inside a home, you should have nice ceilings to bounce off of. I would take various natural light shots with a wide angle at 3200 speed (this allows for slow shutters with minimul blurr that will be noticed) and mix a few of the 135 1.2 wide open with a soft back bounce. Let us know how it turns out.

Can you rent a 28 f/1.4? The speed and short focal length will give you a lot of light to play

with. The problem with flash has nothing to do with guests; you're going to lose the magic of

the candlelit ceremony. Maybe just set it to 1600-1.4-1/40th and see what you get. I don't

know if you're shooting RAW with the S3s but you could even push it from there. As long as it

doesn't go too far, that way you could get some shots that maintain the character of the

ceremony (and moderate grain at print size might even look cool as long as you cut down the

color grain) and then pull out the flash for some closer candids if you need.

Since it is in a home and they don't mind the flash, I would suggest that you get your insurance shots of the "must haves" with flash, you may well find that there will be guests there with P&S cameras popping off flash anyway. Or, you could re-enact the critical momenets after the ceremony with the vows, ring exchange, and unity candle. I really like the idea of playing with the 3200 B&W film, potentially you could get some interesting results. I also like your sensitivity and concern to not "spoil the moment" with the flash.

This was not by candle, but dim chandelier. Still I had a bit of evening light as well- this is 3200 film with a 2.8 lens. I guess you'll just have to see how many candles makes "a lot" in their minds. I would definitley experment some with no flash and maybe pop the flash for just a few. I would expect you to be able to bounce very well in a house. Let us see some when you're done- sounds pretty!<div>00DcMc-25739584.jpg.ac627be4dfc6e1f52ea8d8b2da40d5aa.jpg</div>

If it's in someone's home, it's probably cramped enough that the 50 could do you some good

service. 3200 film and a f/1.2 could probably light up the inside of a closet, and I'd love to

see the results. I'd keep a bounce flash on hand for the kiss, but I'm just a newbie, so I'd love

to see what others think. I'm sure it will be great.