Parts... Springs for a Graphic View?

peter_lui

The problem with much spring steel is that you need special tooling to make something with it. It's very hard metal, and hard to work with.

If you want a good replica, find a machine shop that makes springs, and "spring" for it (sorry -- well, not really).

Some time ago I went to a spring machine shop and bought some strips of spring steel, brought it home, and couldn't work with it, even on a milling/drilling machine! So, be forewarned!

On the other hand, brass works real well. You can buy it at Home Depot, or other local hardware place. Get a solid brass "kick plate" for doors. You can cut it to shape with a sabre saw or hacksaw or even a bandsaw (but you'll have to replace the bandsaw blade if you want to cut wood with it again). Just make sure it's solid brass, and not some cheap brass-colored metal. I bought a nice big kick plate for under 15 bucks.

Once you've cut it and bent it into its final shape, put it on an anvil or large vise grips with a hard flat surface, and hammer hard on it along its length. This changes the composition of the brass just enough to make it springy.

Many springs for view camera backs are either solid brass, or nickel-plated brass. I suppose if you must, you could get the brass plated for appearance.

The only other option I can think of is to modify an existing back to fit onto your camera -- not so hard to do if you're handy with woodworking or metal-working tools and materials.

Good luck!

Thanks to all!

My bro. was a Master Mech. at Snap-On till he retired with all his tools, said when I discribed the spring , find a used set, build a plant or toss it away.

He won't try making them and he likes me. Soooo, anybody have a used set and $?

Again thanks.

Peter