What is the proper structure of a photo essay?

scott_g2

I am working on a personal project and would like to become better educated as to how to

properly organize a photo essay on a subject area or situation. I know how written essays

are structured but have not located any reference on the thought process that goes into

organizing a series of images so that they communicate a coherent message(s) or theme.

Any advise or reference material you can direct me to is appreciated.

Thank you.

There's no way effectively teach this class on the internet. And that's exactly what this is: an entire semester's worth of study and research.

Fortunately, with a good book or two you can skim over this material at your leisure and learn quite a bit.

There are many excellent textbooks used at the college level with information and examples to get you started. The best books are large softcover types so the photos and layouts aren't cramped. You should be able to buy two or three used from a college bookstore, online outlet or locally for a few bucks. I recently bought a very good one for my niece for a buck - she's studying photography in high school.

Pick up a copy of "Dream Street," Eugene Smith's epochal photo essay on Pittsburgh. The project took two years to shoot and two more to print, organize and cajole into publication--at the time only in a much-condensed version in a photography annual. The Pittsburgh project almost destroyed Smith, but "Dream Street" stands now as a momument to one shooter's vision and determination.

I'm not sure I'd pick Smith's essay on Pittsburg as an example to base much on. It was something of a disaster from what I've read (I've read his biography which goes into it in detail). Some of his earlier work (e.g. Country Doctor and Schweitzer) might serve as better examples to emulate.

For an alternative, minimalist view of the photo essay, take a look at "Boxing" and "Runway" by Larry Fink.

All done in 6x6cm format b&w, some with direct flash (often held off camera via a cord, under and to the side of the camera), with little regard to layout or continuity.

Some might call it a punk aesthetic, tho' I doubt Fink himself would. The layout is blunt, without affectation. Marlon Brando with a ripped and sweaty t-shirt, not James Dean with a pack of cigarettes neatly rolled up in one t-shirt sleeve.

Others may see these books as a callous disregard for anything remotely approaching the conventional or even unconventional yet arty forms of layout. I tend to have the latter opinion. But I keep thinking about those books so there must be something compelling there.

Hello Scott,

Good name ;). Just looking through the new forums on Photonet and thought you might be interested in this. http://www.cbc.ca/countrycanada/legacy/index.html

It's a series on CBC television in Canada, showcasing three of our best journalistic photographers. A cameraman (cameraperson) follows each photographer around as they do their assignment. I found it very interesting and helpful in that you get an insite into the working day of the photographer, how they organize the assignment (or not) and then on the web see the finished photo essay. If like me you don't have access to a pro to follow around and learn from, this is better than just a book, IMHO. It's one thing to read something and another to see it being done.

I believe all three are being re-broadcast July 1 @ 8:00 pm on CBC television (if you look in the bottom left corner of the page it will give the dates and times). If you don't have access to that channel, I hope the photo layout will be of interest to you.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/FramerT_MAG.aspx?Stat=Books_DocThumb&V=CDocT&E=29YL534N0066&DT=ALB

This book goes into both proper and "improper" editing. Edits depend on who is editing - when shooting for a magazine feature, you'll want a vertical front over, a nice detailed double page horizontal, a series of pictures that link the pictures together, some background pics that tie into people mentioned in the text, etc.