Upcoming trip to Tokyo - Leica shop ?

fredus

Hi there,

I'm going to Tokyo in September and even though I'm going to be pretty

busy visiting the city and around, I'd like to spend some time in some

of their crazy photo store. Could someonne recommend the 'must see' ?

Especially the one providing Leica and rangefinder type camera.

I'm very exited about that trip !

Thanks for your advices.

Fred

Fred, A recent (late Sring, I think) edition of Shutterbug (I think) had a huge article on Leica collecting and featured several shops in Tokyo, ranging from those with the hemetically sealed models to to real shooter shops. Wish I could put my hands on it, but alas, I think it's gone. Somebody will have the correct reference.

Ray Hull

I just got back from a month in Yokohama. The Tokyo shops in your link, which I would have liked to have before my trip, are fun, but service is poor: if you ask to handle an item, you are expected to buy, or get a gruff response. The prices for Leica gear is about 1/3 more than here in the US. Canon LTM gear seemed quite fair. I didn't buy anything.

There is a chain of rest's called Pepper House: quite a good steak for 980Y. The food is all good and clean. Don't forget to try some Katsu Don. I gained 12-pounds in a month, now back to "normal".

<p>Forget anything with the Leica or Leitz brand names, unless you're coming from somewhere like Iceland or Britain. As for Canon and the rest, I suggest Kimura in Shinjuku (new location just north of Shinjuku station rather than just east of it), a place whose name I forget above a shoe shop right in front of the main post office near Shinjuku west exit, and Sankyōdō in Ginza. All sell stuff suited for fondlers and fetishists but also sell reasonably priced cameras for <em>use</em>.</p>

Lemon-Sha in Ginza is the THE Leica shop in Tokyo, sometimes featured on TV (birthday Leicas and all that). They also sell watches, fountain pens... mmmh. Great selection on used stuff though, prices are fair, but no bargains. Bought my ZM Planar there. Free membership entitles you to 4% discount on new items.

http://www.lemonsha.com/

Fujiya in Nakano is a solid used camera shop, service and price are number one in town. English is spoken I am being told. Not as much character as Lemon, but a real user place for all sorts of gear in all formats. Make sure to check out the bargain shop next door for junk and used lens hoods.

http://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp

These places are not "crazy" (why do people always expect this in Japan, must be some sort of stereotype) but reliable sources for used cameras.

Kimura has lost a lot of charm since their move, and reduced their stock significantly. I no longer go there. Sankyodo and the others in that area of Ginza are worth visiting for 2 minutes, but don't expect anything apart from overpriced collector stuff and old men in suits eyeing and fondling. If you are under 50 and carrying a Leica you get suspicious looks.

Lemon Camera, whcih recently relocated about 2 blocks away in the Ginza district, is now across the street from Hankyu Department Store. It is one of 2 - 3 super Leica stores in Tokyo. There are a few other Leica type shops in the GInza as well, to include Shimizu Camera (or is it Suzuki Camera) located around the block from the very visible "Nikon House" store, whcih only sells nearly new Nikon gear.

The next place to seek out Leica stuff is a multi-floored store called MAP Camera, located in the western side of Shinjuku Station in Tokyo. It is surrounded by the massive Yodobashi Camera complex with its many stores dediczated to different aspects of audio video merchandise.

http://www.mapcamera.com/english/inquiry.php

<p><em>Sankyodo and the others in that area of Ginza are worth visiting for 2 minutes, but don't expect anything apart from overpriced collector stuff and old men in suits eyeing and fondling.</em></p><p>Sankyōdō has two branches, one thirty seconds away from the other. One, which I didn't have in mind, sells imports, the other sells Japanese stuff. The latter does indeed have fancy stuff at fancy prices, but it also has rows of Canon bodies and lenses (etc) at palatable prices.</p><p>A few months ago I'd have agreed with the comment above about the effect that the move had on Kimura, but I think Kimura (<a href="http://www.kimura-camera.co.jp/sitedata/shop/map/tokyo/k_09.html">map</a>) has bounced back since then.</p><p>Another place worth a look is Alps-dō (<a href="http://www.alpsdo.com/information.html">map</a>), where I selected one Canon 50/1.4 out of three "EX++" alternatives all priced under 25 thou.</p>

Thanks, I shall give Kimura another look. Yes, Alpsdo I have been to. They look like a place who know their stuff, and it is en route to Kimura.

Gin-Ichi in Ginza is also a good address (http://www.ginichi.com/), one of my regular browsing spots. So Ginza and Shinjuku (gateway to Nakano) are the Leica hotspots, where Ginza is definitely on the fondler side, for obvious reasons, and Shinjuku a real user district. Both are fun to browse.

None of it is "crazy" though, it's all "normal".

Thanks for all the pointers guys !! This is very useful. I don't expect to find any bargain I just want to spend a bit of time in a Camera supermarket ... That's why I call them crazy. I guess B&H in NYC is crazy as well. Nothing about stereotype ...

Thanks !

Fred

I'll second Fujiya Camera. Lots of variety, 6-month warranties, and they let you handle stuff. The only caveat is that it's located about 15 minutes or so west of the center of Tokyo on the Chuo Line at the Nakano Station.

They have a decent online website for sales, but it's all in Japanese. Some employees may speak English, and some may think they speak English. However, little language is needed. Just point. However, they don't bargain down prices. What you see is what you pay.

• 6 years later...