Information on Chicago

doemoezi

I am from Belgium. I am in Chicago end of the month for a convention.

During my free time, I want to stroll around and take some photo's.

If possible not especially the touristical paths. Anyone with ideas

or information.

Next to this maybe I will buy some gear (looking for fisheys and

teleconvertres for Nikon D70). Are there some good and honnest

photoshops? Txs for helping me.

One tour I highly recommend, especially for photographers, is

the architectural boat tour up and down the Chicago River. It is

done by the Chicago Architectural Foundation, and you get to

view and experience the architecture of Chicago from a unique

perspective. Great photo ops for bridges, skyscrapers, people,

etc.

Here is a link for information:

http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8

Also, while I was there last year, I stopped in at Central Camera

to get a few things for my kit. Very helpful, and convenient.

Have fun. Travel safe.

I lived there for 3 years, great city

If you like architecture, that the L out to Oak Park. THe home and studio of Frank Lloyd Wright is there, 20+ Wright home scattered around this small, walk able town. Get maps before you go. THe train goes through some bad parts of town, but it is fine once you get to Oak Park

I second the architectural boat tour. Every educational and fun

Although it is touristy, a Cubs game at Wrigley field is really special (even if you don't care for baseball). The neighborhood around there is great, lots of character

The loop down town isn't off the beaten path, but it does provide a alot of great photo ops

Hello Andre.

You're going to love Chicago, truely a lovely town. I visit frequently and love the photo ops in town.

As to places to get equipment I ususally go to Helix camera on Racine, its not very far from downtown. This is a huge store with great prices. One that is downtown that I haven't been to for a while is Central camera on Wabash street, its a nice cozy place with a good selection. There was another place nearby on Wabash that I honestly can't recall.

Interesting places: Lower Wacker Drive; alleys in downtown Chicago; take the el (elevated train) anywhere; <a href="http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1314.html"> Waldheim Cemetery</a>; rent a bike and travel north and south along the lakefront. I'll stop here but there is lots to see.

<BR><BR>

Photo gear,<a href="http://www.calumetphoto.com/">Calumet Photo</a> is cheaper with a larger selection than anyone else in Chicago. They are also located on a small industrial island (Goose Island) not far from downtown Chicago.<div>00D7M4-25028684.jpg.a30e68f02041172534a69784428f7ebe.jpg</div>

1. Get up early some morning, 4:30 or so. Walk over to the Planetarium. Get sunrise shots of Chicago skyline. Yes, it is a tourist classic, but it's classic for a reason.

2. Walk along Wacker Drive (Chicago River) from Michigan Ave to Lake, then Lake to Canal. Lots of architectural, bridge, boat, and rail shots. Walk along Lake to Kinzie, then to the Kinzie Bridge. More opportunities.

3. On a sunny day, walk along Wells Street, frame your shots against the shadows of the el tracks.

HTH

Maxwell St. is gone. It had become a major slum with many street dwellers and a haven for drugs, prostitues and stolen goods. It has been replaced by bright new condos and townhouses for faculty and wealthy graduate students of U of I Chicago complete with Starbucks, etc. It is squeaky clean.

While the old Maxwell St. certainly was colorful and worth a visit, what it had degenerated into wasn't. Now the "new" Maxwell St. is over on Canal with booths set up each Sunday morning. Space was alotted by lottery. It's still a good place to street shoot but you will find that many of the People selling goods/products object strenuously to being photographed.

Going through the old Maxwell St. Was part of the fun of getting to Helix, my favority haunt for things photographic. The trip is faster now that people don't wallow into the street (traffic was always at a crawl) in front of me and try to sell me things through my car window but it is certainly not as colorful.

Conni

• 4 weeks later...

My dear friends,

I ha a lovely week in Chicago, a nice, clean and safe town with very friendly people. I had a lot of shooting, mostly architecture.

I also can confirm the good service of Calumet, in special of Mr Terry Grenz.

You can see some of the results of mly visit on this site.