Which lens? 100mm or 135mm FD?

petrovski

I am looking into getting a canon fd (for my canon ftb and f1)

portrait lens, to add to my collection (28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 SSC). I

need it to take street photography and portrait shots! So, that said,

which lens should I buy? The 100mm f2.8 or the 135mm f2.5 SC? Do you

recommend a different lens?

Thanks

For a long time I used the 135mm f/2.8. It's a great lens, but I switched to the 85mm f/1.8 mainly because it's lighter. I thought I'd miss the reach of the 135mm, but actually I've gotten used to the 85mm and now prefer it over the 135mm.

They are assuredly NOT all alike! I have the 135mm f/2.5 SD lens, and IMHO it is the one you should try. This particular lens is the same optical design as the previous FL-mount version, and was among the earliest of the FD lenses. The 135/2.5 has a character that is quite different from either of the other FD 135's. It has a bit of uncorrected spherical aberration that gives it a really nice bokeh when used wide open. Stopped down, it is impressively sharp. Another nice, if somewhat dated, feature is the built-in sliding hood, so you never have to go digging nor worry about those stupid plastic thingies in the later FD hoods.

I have FD 100/2,8 SSC, FDn 100/2,8, FDn 135/3,5, FDn 135/2,0. In my opinion I find the 100mm lenses more allround. I think you should choose the focal length you think you would like most of the time, and then select a specific lens. The older FD lenses like SC and SSC will look great on your FTb and F1(old version). Personally I would not go for a SC version since the coating is worse ( I had bad experience with the SC 28/2,8).

THANKS ALL,

I just bought a 135mm 2.5 S.C. on Adorama. I will try it out for a while then maybe go for the 100mm. So now that I have a 50, 28, 135mm lenses, and two bodies (ftb and t70)...whats next to buy to perfect the black and white photography tools?

I am reluctant to buy a $500 tripod..i have one and it seems to do the job.. why a new one? Also, where can I buy cheaper b+w filters? Do you think a polarizer is a good idea..more important than, say, a red filter?