Camera for School

sam_chua

Ah Conni,

the difference is that I'm 30 and returning to school to finish my Business Degree while working full-time. The camera equipment is "sponsored" by the tax breaks I get from paying school fees. The school fees are handled by a student loan. In essence...sponsored camera equipment at low finance rates.

I love taking pictures and if I'm lucky, I hope to do a degree in Photography on the side as well. My big dream, when I'm tired of corporate life, is to be a professional photographer as second career when I'm in my 40s.

So in the meantime, I have a decade or so to hone my skills and build my collection of lenses and other equipment. And this is how I justify an fairly expensive camera such as an F100.

If you are taking a basic photography course, and you have access to an FE2 and 28, 50 and 105 lenses, why feel pressured to buy another body? That equipment will probably cover anything required of the course. The FE2 is a great manual focus body, those lenses are classics.... Use the equipment at hand to explore photography, see where your interests lie and at some later date buy equipment specific to your needs.

Sam:

I just got back last week an

FE, a 50 mm and a 105 that I loaned to one of my students who hoarded his last elective to use for a photography class. He did great work and got really excited about it and he isn't much younger than you. He really enjoyed using the FE. He took good care of the kit. I knew he would. He intends to get into photography more after he finishes his grad program.

So, as mentioned, an FE is a "good" thing.

But get an F100 or an F5 if you want one.

Conni

Why an F100 when I have an FE at hand?

I wish to explore different schools of thought for photography. The slow deliberation of a old style MF Camera. Metering against a grey card shooting off slowly with mirror lock up. Where skill is essential and everything is done slowly and the process itself is almost zen like. The joy in the little details of adjusting.

The other school of thought with the F100. Rapid fire capture the moment. See it, grab it. A cyclist, a pedestrian dashing across the street. Shots where I dont have time to meter and focus...only enough time see and hit the shutter. The camera becomes invisible and all that is left is seeing.