D70s w/DEAD PIXEL

Hi. I just bought a D70s to do some wedding photography. It's all that I can afford at this

time and I know of a few professionals who think that a D70s is a good entrance into

digital SLR photography. Anyway, I shot a close up photograph of my son and a friend of

mine pointed me out to a dead pixel in the frame. Sure enough all the other frames in that

take had a dead pixel in the same spot. The questions are: 1) is this normal? 2) how does

it affect what I am trying to do - deliver quality wedding/portraits to my clients? 3) should

i return this camera to B&H and will they replace it?

Looking for your responses. Thanks!

Are you sure is a dead pixel and not dust?

Try ( VERY CAREFULLY ) blowing some wind into the sensor. Use one of those kids nasal cleaners. Inspect the sensor to see if you find any dust laying there. If you do not see anytihng and the spot is still there, then it may be a problem with your camera.

I didn't mean that every single DSLR has bad pixels - I just ment that they in general do have them and it's a standard procedure to interpolate over this. Otherwise every sensor with a single fault would be ditched. No way are Nikon going to do that. Try it - if you send it to service, they'll send it back to you with your pixel added to the table of bad pixels and it will still be the same camera. The only other way they could fix it would be to replace the sensor which is probably so expensive that they'd just rather give you a new camera.

<I>All DSLRs have dead pixels"

Are you 100% sure of this?</I><P>Having talked to virtually all DSLR makers and sensor

manufacturers, 'm sure about that. a specific ensor might even have several. Generally

what happens is that the

camera's firmware for that sensor will "map out" that pixel if it shows up when the camera

goes through Quality Control (which is actually very tight). If the failure happens afterward

then ythe consumer will see it show up. . But yes even the $30,000

digital backs for medium format cameras have dead pixels.

what you might be seeing is a "stuck pixel".

Contact your dealer and see what they can do for you.

• 5 years later...

<p>Anyone owning a DSLR will face the dead pixel issue at one time or the other, but apparently there is an easy fix. Set your camera to manual sensor cleaning mode for a few minutes and it removes the dead pixel.<br>

You can read the entire article about this here, http://www.slashgear.com/how-to-remove-stuck-pixel-on-your-digital-slr-2227392/</p>