Finaly my own LF

Hi Folks!

Wow, it only took me about thirty years! Now I finally have my very

own view camera. I had dreamed of owning and using one since first

reading about Ansel Adams and tenderly enjoying his photographs when

I was thirteen.

Living here in the Pacific Northwest, less than an hour's drive from

the trailheads that lead into several wilderness areas, affords many

opportunities for many wonderful photo opps.

I just purchased a Linhof, KARDAN Color 45 s, with two lenses, a

Xenar 4.5/150 mm w/ a synchro-compur shutter, and an Ilex-Calumet

4.8/215, along with seven film holders, and several other

accessories, all in VERY good condition at least 9++.

I do not want to make any of you cry so I will not tell how much I

spent as of yet.

I would like to hear from others who might own this equipment and if

they would pass on any "qwerks" that they might have experienced.

Thanks in advance;

Norm Ives, Jr.

Norman,

Congratulations... the fever just continues to worsen! :)

Where abouts in the Pacific Northwest are you? Seattle way?

Anyway... back in the days when I was in high school (and working weekends in a small

camera store) the Linhof Kardan 45s was considered "the" camera and purchased by a

great many of the pros in my neck of the woods, which at that time was in Calgary, Alberta

in Canada. I'm currently living in Vancouver, BC.

I had a Technikardan for a short while and thought it was a great camera but I sold it off in

favor of a totally different format and system. Today, I use a Sinar X and a Tachihara Wood

4x5 (for field use.)

What are you planning on photographing? B+W? Color? My preferred choice is Fuji Provia

chromes and Ilford B+W.

I can tell you that using a LF camera has its learning curve but is a LOT of fun (after the

initial frustrations subside! :))

So... have fun! The journey has just begun for you! :)

Cheers

Hey H.C.

Thanks for responding!

I am in Yakima, about 30 to 45 minutes from Dog Lake which is just east of White Pass.

There is a trail head at the lake which leads into the William O' Douglass Wilderness area. The sign announcing that you are entering it is about five minutes from the trailhead. And from there it is about four days into your country!

At the moment my "problems" are

"Now that you've (re) cocked the shutter and the lens is closed don't forget to pull out the light screen!"

"Now how do we get the padre's head back into the picture without refocusing, which adjustment was it, and was that the front or back?"

Having "cut my teeth" on a Mamiya C220 TLR the "upside down and backwards" "Feature" is more of an annoyance like a buzzing fly than that of a growling bear.

Yes indeed Fun I shall have. The shop where I baught the beauty has been "donating" what out of date film they discover in their old stocks to my "education" so when that runs out I'll be shooting Color Negative and C-41 process B&W.

This used to be one of their studio cameras. The Owners keep "discovering" more goodies in the way of accessories that they have promised to hold in my name until I am ready and my finances become available.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Norm

Norm,

Neighbors we are! :) I was just in Seattle last week on a wine run... :)

Have you ever used a LF camera before? If not... there are some really great books to start

off with. I know everyone suggests the "grand-daddy of them all - the book by Stroebel"

But, IMHO, it's a tough read. Anyway, if you need some recommendations... let me know

and I'll list a few of the ones I found useful.

[if you're insistent on the Strobel book... let me know. The local bookstore has one for sale

at a pretty reasonable price.]

The trick to using a LF camera is to establish a set routine right from the get-go. Take a

peek on this website [http://www.largeformatphotography.info/] It has some GREAT info

on it and most of the folks on that site would be more than happy to help you learn the

ropes. They're simply a great bunch of shooters. Of course, there's some great people on

this site as well! :)

Also, take a peek at Q-Tuan Luong's site [http://www.terragalleria.com/]... GORGEOUS

stuff is all I can say! It's an inspiration to all of us LF shooters! :)

Anyway... it's all good fun and you've got a pretty decent camera. Now, all you have to do

is to take it out and shoot, shoot, shoot. The more practice you get in... the more

comfortable you'll become with it! :)

Just don't get bogged down with too much "stuff!" The final image is what counts! :)

Good luck...

Cheers

Kardan Color 45...still an excellent camera after all these years!!! The Xenar 150 and Calumet 215 are both good servicable lenses...you won't likely be disapointed with the performance of either.

While I currently use mainly a Cambo and various lenses from 90mm to 17.5", I have used all of that equipment in the past and was well satisfied with all of it.

Norman:

I'm very happy for you!

Please post any questions you may have & hopefully I or others can help assist.

I have a handful of Kardan accessories if you need anything - I have two extra sets of bellows & a number of lensboards - Good Luck

Regards

That's terrific. And in the Pacific Northwest too? Also, as asked, where in the region? I live within an hour-plus drive of Mt. Rainier NP and am waitng to use my 4x5 when it arrives this fall (Layton L-45A). I agree with the books and Web sites recommended, and have been finding places to learn the camera, from the simple to complex scenes. Good luck.

While I love my Xenar lenses, remember there will not be much coverage with the 150. Only testing will tell you how far to push it. The sharpness falls off faster than the light. Back movement will be better than front. For your typical landscape, wonderful. Good light, happy shooting.

I think that the Color 45S, the Graphic View II, and the Kodak/Calumet Master View are the biggest bargains in LF equipment. They go for (relatively) peanuts -- why, is beyond me. Congrats on obtaining yours.

Norman, don't forget to do lots and lots of squats and leg work, that will help you on the trails with the LF stuff more than anything! At least I'll recognize you when I see you on the trails.

Tom in Seattle

The best jump start, but pricy, is to get a poloroid holder and shoot some boxes of poloroid film. The instant feedback will let you work out your routines much faster and help you identify the problems as they come up. Looking at blank sheets of film that come back from the processor does not tell you much about why they are blank.:-) You can also use the holder for readyload film. I did that when I got started and in a few days you can get months worth of experience, esp. if you do not have the time to shoot and process everyday.

WOW!

What a GRRRRReat group of people here! Thanks for all of the input! I have already shot about 10 or fifteen images, the last few are currently at the local shop for development, will print them later after I get an Idea of what I want.

As far as the leg squats, I think I am getting enough exercise with the thing. I live in an old house that has been converted into small apartments ... mine is on the third floor. Imagine me lugging the Linhof with her accessories, three Canons with their accessories plus a ?lunch Pal? with film holders up and down three flights at least once every other day! I often remember the cartoon of George Eastman with his Photo ?backpack?.

What I would like is to get my hands on a good quality copy of the original manual for this puppy. That is if it had one. An original would be nice, but I'd settle for a PDF copy, or even a very good photocopy.

I like the suggestion of using the dark slide (still not sure what the correct name is) for a sunshade. Will have to try it the next time I?m on an ?Exposing? session / expedition.

I was at the shop where I bought it again yesterday to drop off film, discovered a Schneider / Compur 240 mm hidden in one of the display cases. Heck. With all of the ?Goodies?, he?s holding for me I?ll be spending money there from ?now till midnight?! Worst part of it is that the ?brat? that he is, has left them all out front where I can?t miss drooling over them every time that I?m in there.

Thanks again

Norm

BTW on another thaught, why is the forum changing my quotation marke to question marks?

Hey Trent!

He gave me one the other day! I am not sure about the power but it sure makes focusing easer. It is an original Linhof, which came with the camera and needs to have the hood replaced. Internal foam is flaking off and permits tons of light through still works well especially for this six-eyed (bifocals) Connecticut Yankee. I plan to replace it with one of velveteen on the inside and some tight weave cotton on the outside once I get my singer out of storage.

Norm

Norm, I am not sure we are talking about the same object... I have several loupes but none

of them has foam or fabric, even oldest loupes are full metal and glass. Linhof did one

loupe (made in schneider), it was a 8x, no foam or velveteen.

Anyway I share with you your enthusiasm for LF!

Trent

Norman,

The reason your quotes are being changed to question-marks is probably because you are copying and pasting from Word or a similar word-processing software that uses "smart quotes" (ones that are directional depending on whether they are at the beginning or end of a phrase) instead of standard text quotes. The http server is unable to identify these marks and so it sends a question-mark out to everyone who reads the post.