Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 USM L as a walk arounf lens?

s_perera

I own it and love it on FF film bodies. However, I find it a yawn on my 10D: the long end is

just too short. Plus the image details are so small at 17mm I'm underwhelmed (due to the

small viewfinder--not the lens' fault). For walkaround zooms I far prefer the EF 24-85 3.5

-4.5 USM or EF 28-135 IS USM on 1.6 crop bodies.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

What the Pupster said. It's an excellent lens for indoor use, or when you want to go wide for landscapes, etc. But for walk-around use, I usually reach for the 24-85, which has a more usable FL range for this purpose, IMO.

The 24-85's less sharp than the 17-40L, but since Canon doesn't make a ..., oh, never mind...

The 17-40L has long been purported here to be an excellent walk-around lens, even on 1.6 crop DSLRs. Quailty is also reviewed as very high, especially for the relatively low price. My main walk-around is the 16-35 and the 24-70. I've barely used a 17-40 so I cannot comment directly. (My previous walk-around was the aforementioned 24-85.)

If I take only one lens with my 20D, it is usually either the 17-40/4 L or 50/1.4 (or 300/4 L IS, but that's a different walk around). If I take two or three lenses, the 17-40L is usually one of them. Sometimes I shove a SMC Takumar 85/1.8 in my back pocket (just in case), but I probably shouldn't mention that here...

S Perera,<br>

I use my 17-40L as my main walk around lens.<br>

90% of my Park Photos were taken with the 17-40L<br>

It well worth it's cost (to my eyes).<br>

Oh yea and its a 17-40 (27-64mm in 35mm terms).

Yes. The Canon 17-40 F4L is an ideal walk-around lens among other candidates such as Canon 16-35 L, 24-70 L, 17-85 IS, 24-85, 28-135 IS, Tamron 17-35, 28-75, Sigma 18-50, 24-70. To me on a DSLR, we need at least 17 or 18 at the wide end. the closest one to the 17-40 is Sigma 18-50 that I've tried but didn't like it. The Canon 17-85 IS is near perfect except EF-S that I don't want to invest my money while waiting on the next 1.3x or full frame DSLR. I did also try most of the about but sold them all and keep the Canon 17-40. Apparently I miss the tele end. But it's ok to me becasue I can't hand hold with the focal length longer than 50 to shoot a sharp picture anyway. Therefore, I use 17-40 for walk around, 24-70 for indoor parties, 100 Macro and 70-200 F4L with a tripod for portrait and close up, and 300 F4L & 1.4x TC for hand held tele.

Just another thought for you.

I no longer walk around with my DSLR setup ever since I bought a Fuji F10 a few month ago.

The digital P&S's have kept improving their quality to a degree that it's now comparable to DSLRs mounted with those normal/consumer lenses. And they are pocketable. There is less and less benefit for those "walk around" lenses setup (at least to me.) The P&S will normally covers 35mm to 100 something with very good close focus distance. And I would seriously think why do I ever need a DSLR walk-around lens in this range.

Nowadays, most of my lenses are purchased for their superb quality. I have Canon 200 L f/2.8, Canon 400 L f/5.6, Canon 100 f/2.8 macro, and probably Canon 135 f/2.0 in the foresee-able future.

And I enjoy walk with my Fuji F10 very much due to its great image quality and very very light weight.

I suggest you think more about what you really want to do before buying/changing lenses.

Eric.

It depends on what you shoot.

For a tourism perspective, where it is likely from or near a vehicule and subjects are often architecture or monuments, wide is precious and the 17-40 would do fine.

From a 'walk around' where people are often targetted, the 24-85 offers a better range from slightly wide to small tele. A nice compromise range/aperture/price.

The 28-105 offers best range for the buck but 28 (with cropping factor) is just not wide enough in my opinion. Too bad because there is a vast choice of 28 to something zooms.