Hi all,

I know this question has been asked before but I am still somewhat

unsure of what to take on my up and coming "trip of a liftime" to

Nepal in November.

I have finally made up my mind which hardware to take which will be

m6 plus 35mmcron, 50mm lux and 90mm collapsible elmar.I will also

take my old rolleiflex 3.5 xenotar.

So now the big question..I have decided on the balck and white neg

and settled for FP4, I know it and like it for both 35mm and 6sq.

I am completely undecided on the color neg film (will not shoot

slides)..I expect to be shooting a mixture of

people/places/landscapes including some evening and early morning

stuff.

I wopuld like to use just one film for both cameras..

Anyone had experience or can offer advice considering the subjects

and contrast I expect to be dealing with?

all comments appreciated..thanks

Hey Andy, try Fuji NPS 160 or NPH 400. These films have fine grain, generous latitude and

will be able to handle the often contrasty light found in that region. An extra M body and a

superwide might be a good idea, but it's nice to travel light. Have an amazing trip!

Andy, Your Rolleiflex will not break down and therefore it is by default your back-up body for the Leica6. Both cameras are rock-solid. Take along very slow film to escape fogging in Xray and also to capture the details. I would take along 70% slow film and 30% medium speed film that can be pushed in case of need. I have switched from slide film to print film but I see lower quality results. Maybe there are other factors involved in my case.

thanks everyone so far..regarding the back up body I know you are right but just don't have the cash at the moment...(spent on the trip)..The reason I am cautious about slides is simpley ythat I have so little experience shooting them..90% of what I have shot over the past 10 years is black and white, so I am just plain nervous about going for chromes and thought that color neg will simpley give me more room for error.When I hear however that I will maybe need to compromise on quality then that makes me even more nervous...so thats where I am coming from, thoughts?

Do not worry about any ISO 400 film and X-ray fogging, so long as you keep the film in your carry-on luggage. (If you put it in checked baggage, it WILL be DESTROYED.)

Another low-contrast film is Kodak Portra 400NC. Fast, low grain, forgiving on exposure. Accurate and subtle color if printed on Kodak Endura papers. I love the very realistic look I get from this, it's not the typical high-saturation high-contrast look. You can always boost the contrast or saturation later in the digital domain...

Or, if you want more saturation, consider Kodak Ultra Color 400. But, it comes with some more contrast (but not as much as Max 400 or other consumer films) than Portra.

Only those who have mastered slide film should try it on a "trip of a lifetime". I have three rolls of overexposed Kodakchrome 64 to show from a trip to Yellowstone (etc.) with a new camera whose light meter was ill-calibrated, bought to replace one that was being repaired at the time of the trip.

I'll have to echo what John Shiver said. I chose 400VC and UC thinking that they would give me the wide latitude of a print film with the saturation of a slide film, found out that the "no free lunch" axiom applied here too, these are very high-contrast narrow-latitude film in terms of the contrast they'll handle. Great for overcast, but frustrating in sunlight. Switched to 400NC and have been there ever since (I did try 160NC but couldn't tell the difference in the grain so opted to stay with 400). As John mentioned, if you end up in soft light you can boost the saturation later in Photoshop.

Andy,

I was particularly interested in this thread as I am about to embark on an almost identical trip, hopefully spanning 12 months and mostly centered around the south/central Pacific.

My equipment is also very similar - M6TTL x 2, 35 'cron, 50 v/c nokton, 90 summicron, and a bessa L / 15mm combo. I can easily tote this system with me the whole time with minimal impact on my mobility and without making me feel weighed down the whole time.

Anyway, I have debated the film issue in my head for the last 4 months at least, and this is what I have come up with. I am estimating about an 80/20 breakdown, 80% black & white, 20% color.

For the b&w I am going to shoot Fuji Neopan, all three speeds (100, 400, and 1600). The Neopan Acros 100 film is just about the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Scanning it doesn't do it justice, not on my new Minolta scanner anyway, but printed in a wet darkroom this film produces glowing, beautiful prints. I develop in Rodinal.

For the color I'm going to shoot chromes. I have never shot chromes to the degree that I will be on this trip, as I was also always a film user. But I have made the decision and I'm going with it (after MUCH contemplation, and testing to see if I am any good at it). The film I have decided on is, again, Fuji. The Provia 100 and 400 slide films are very nice saturated, but not too saturated, and have incredible grain and sharpness. And the lab that I use here in Manhattan will process and mount for six bucks a roll, and do a VERY nice job at that.

How long are you going for? How much film are you budgeting? I am making the same decisions as you right now.

I am getting the viewfinders of both my M6's upgraded as we speak - I would hate having to fight flare for months on end...

Matt hi,

this is really keeping me awake at night and I know I am probably worrying too much but, well, this is a big thing for me.I am only going to be there for a month in total, 5 days in Kathmandu and then fly to Lukla and trek a section of the Everest base camp route but only up to Tengboche, about 4500meters is the highest we'll go.I want to do more color than I am used too as I want to come back with some memorable shots of the scenery and the people.I plan on taking 15 rolls for the rolleiflex color and 5 black and white.For the leica I plan on same quantities, so 20 days trekking at 2 rolls/day.Am strongly considering Portra 160/400 as nmentioned by a couple of the guys here due to the more neutral colors and lower contrast, it can get really harsh up there.I will stick to FP4 for the b/w stuff simply because I know it well and develop in microphen and is always spot on.Have seen lots of too contrasty shots of Nepal/himalays to make me conscious of not going for a too punchy film....The season is Autumn in November and the air should be real clear and "sharp" so this is pushing me in the direction of portra as I say...Well that's about it but sounds like you're going through the same process as me so would lve to know what you finally decide on and indeed how much you think you're going to need...keep me posted...andy

Stick to the low contrast film like Reala. You can print all the way from wedding/portrait paper to high contrast paper. Reala would be my choice.

When you get there, shoot off 6 frames of the FP4 under what you consider typical conditions. When you come back, pull out the 6 frames in the dark, develope and print. Adjust your development as necessary.

Don`t brake in a new film on a trip.

Andy, you are leaving in November, right? We're only now wrapping up July, so you have a good 3 months at your disposal. I would never bring a film that I had no experience with on an important trip like this, but the thing is that if you pick your "new" film(s) now, shoot for 3 months under a wide range of conditions, you would get to know the strengths and weakneses of your new film very well. If you find that you just have better luck shooting your standard film, then no love is lost and you can be SURE you made the right choice.

That is what I am doing now. I have never shot chromes before in my life. So what I have been doing for the past two months is breaking in these new films so that I can make an informed decision. For instance, the first three rolls of Provia I shot were all underexposed. I metered the same as I always have metered in the past that gave me good results, but I found out that my technique resulted in slightly underexposed chromes so I now rate them a half-stop slower and everything is fine. I found that I didn't like the color rendition of Astia and Velvia was too over-the-top.

So, this has been my take on the situation. You have a lot more time from this point forward to prepare and I would definitely take advantage of it. Think of it as breaking in a new set of boots. You buy them now and start hiking with them over the next three months. If they give you blisters and turn out to be too heavy and just suck, then fine, take your old trusty boots on the trip. But you might find out that the new ones offer better support and the traction is great......

Hello Andy:

Great trip Andy ! I have been twice to Nepal, the first time I did the

Everest trek with the full trek all the way to Gokyo lakes, Cho-La

and the Everest Base Camp. The second time I did the

Annapurna trek. Both are beautiful, but the Everest trek is a lot

better. This is because besides the beautiful mountains you will

encounter all the sherpa culture which is great. Although color

film is nice, I think B&W photos of the people and the mountains

will capture a fantastic mood. If you can trek a little further above

Tyagboche monastery, you will find much better views of the

mountains nearby Pheriche. I also went to the base of Imja-Tse (

alias Island Peak ) and passed through the fantastic glaciers of

Chukhung.

There is a lot of dust on the way up. Especially on the slope

before reaching Namche. And changing lenses becomes quite

difficult as there is always the risk of getting dust inside the

camera. But wide angle and a short tele are essentials. the Lux

will be handy for low light situations.

The Namche bazaar is a geat place to photogaph people, lots of

tibetans come down from Tibet to trade their goods at the

bazaar. nice guys and very interesting people too.

Also be prepared to watch old women carrying heavier loads

than your own, walking up the mountain much faster than you

can. All in all, I think it is one of the best trip I have made in my

life, and I have been everywhere.

Good luck.

You did not mention filters: a medium yellow or a orange in the altitude will add a bit of punch to your B&W shots. If you can, take one extra lens (35mm ?) with the intent of putting a B&W filter on it: it will make it easier to mount compared to changing filters while walking a trail. And do you plan on any use of a polarizer with either color or B&W film on your trip?

And as noted above, take an extra 10 to 15 rolls of 35mm film: much easier to have it and not use it than trying to find some in the local area should the need arise.

I posted a similar inquiry in May on the Film & Processing forum seeking advice on the film

I should take for my then planned trip to Japan. In the end I settled on Fuji Reala (mainly

for bright daylight) and Kodak UC 400 (for everything else). I am very satisfied with the

results. I used more of the UC 400 than the Reala because the UC 400 was more versatile.

I had no problem increasing shutter speed to compensate for the higher ASA rating when I

needed to. That mainly sufficed, though in a few situations I used an ND filter. In any

case, the saturation worked well for what I shot. I had considered shooting NPH instead of

UC 400 but I have never really been happy with that film, except possibly for portraits

where its much more subdued pallete can be pleasing. Anyway, my experience with UC

400, with its combination of pleasant (but not over the top) saturation, speed, and fine

grain, won me over to that film and I now find it is my main choice, save for bright

summer days outside, when I fall back on Reala. That's my two cents worth.

Andy,

Profit from my errors. I took Fuji Provia 100 to Israel, after about 20 years since my last extensive experience with slides. In the regions's contrasty sunlight, I was careful to expose for the bright areas and stay ever so slightly on the lowish side of good exposure. Result: my scenic pictures were fine; my pictures of people had the usual facial shadows in that kind of light, and the facial shadows were way, way too dark to be pleasing as people shots.

Lesson: I failed to practice on people ahead of time. I took a calculated risk on the chrome's behavior in contrasty light and again lost (in my people shots). Also, a low contrast slide film would have been a better choice. I would have done better to be less "fancy" and settled for some good print film as suggested above--Reala or the lower contrast NPS/NPH.

Have a great trip!!..........Julian

agree with matt. practice prior to your trip. chrome is not all that hard to use, but for the *really important/great* shots...bracket. if people are involved, always shoot at least two frames. you will be surprised how often one has their eyes closed amidst a blink. enjoy your trip.

No slides? OK, then I won't recommend K64. Porta 160VC and High Def 200 are good C-41. I don't like Porta NC outdoors - greens look almost beige. I defer to those who say it's good, in that they must be doing something in the darkroom of which I am not aware, or they have a specific aesthetic situation, or perhaps, just different tastes. That Porta NC will look very different from what most people are used to as regards color print film. Porta VC is more typical. I would save the NC for portraits and controlled lighting, and use something more conventional for outdoor shots. Have a good trip! Post some photos when you return.

I disagree, I reckon NC is fine outdoors. Greens aren't beige at all. If I had only one film for travel, this would be it.

A few samples, all 160NC:

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3245951&size=lg" target="_blank">NC1</a>,

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3286394&size=lg" target="_blank">NC2</a>,

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3263950&size=lg" target="_blank">NC3</a>,

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3290614" target="_blank">NC4</a>

Andy

I have nothing to add on the film choice - but must share with you some info on a couple

of really interesting villages on the outskirts of Kathmandu to visit. They are right next

door to one another - BUNGAMATI and KHOKANA.

I happened to meet a local of one of these villages (who lives now in Kathmandu) and he

offered to drive us out there. All I can say is that the experience for me was truly amazing

- these places as as they were 500 years ago!! The people were beautiful, didn't mind

being photographed, just really lovely people. If you have the time (about 30 mins drive) I

really suggest you visit. No tourist would take you there - this is the REAL Kathmandu.

Enjoy - it's a beautiful country!

Rowena