Focus during wedding?

elaine marie

I think Nadine hit a good point - recognize what the limitations are on auto focus. Work within them, so you don't surprise yourself with fuzzy pictures.

I think it also depends on how much you trust your camera (and it's capabilities). My trusty (and aged) Canon A1 has no autofocus. I don't much trust the autofocus on my D1X, and fully trust it on D2X (given enough light and objects that work well with af).

I have yet to use an AF camera that had a viewfinder that was at all close to the viewfinder of a MF camera (F100 & D200). I use AF just about all the time. You do need some time to learn to use the AF system of your camera, and often get the right lenses to get the most out of it. AF often works much better with the pro grade 2.8 lenses than the slower consumer lenses.

On an autofocus body, 99% of the time AF. On my MF-gear, 100% MF. In total about 5% of the shots with MF.

I've tried to beat the AF in outdoor light, but you can't. It's way more precise. As long as there is light i trust it.

Always manual. I can nudge the focussing tab on Leica 35 and 50mm lenses with my middle finger but mostly just fine focus by moving all of me. With flash the depth of field will usually cover you anyway. I try to always keep the focus set to a point more distant than I'm likely to need to focus on. That way I always know which way to turn the lens ~ no hunting back and forth.

I manually focused everything for decades and still don't use an AF film SLR. But when I do supplement to kit with AF I don't fight what the gear does well.

With my dSLR, AF 95% of the time, mostly using a single sensor focus point that move around with the selector paddle. I use the group options less often, and then only when I can stop down enough for better DOF.

Of the times I'm using AF, at least half the time I'm in continuous focus mode using the shutter release button to activate focus.

The other half the time, for shots that aren't so hurried, I'll switch to single servo mode and use the AF/ON thumb button to activate focus so the shutter release button doesn't inadvertently refocus after I recompose.

Both. One of the things I love about full-time manual focus is that I no longer have to decide. I leave my lens in auto focus mode, and then whenever I want, I simply tweak the focus a bit. I have the custom function set that moves focus to the * button on the back instead of the shutter release.

Eric

I always use autofocus, but I change the autofocus spot frequently to make it easier on myself. That's probably my most-used button on the camera! I wear glasses (strong prescription) and I just don't trust myself with manual focus. The only time I use manual focus is when the camera absolutely can't autofocus.

Jennifer