Batteries for Flash

tom_cairns

I have a Sigma flash that's a clone for the Canon speedlight. It

calls for AA batteries and most people I've read recommend NiMH

batteries. Are all NiMH batteries created equal? I paid $20 for 4 of

them at Radio Shcak and notice that Amazon has the Lexmar version

for $24 for a box of 24 batteries.

<p>They're not all equal. They have ratings in mAh (milliamp-hours). The higher the rating, the more energy you can store in them (so you'll get more flashes per charge).</p>

<p>I wouldn't be surprised if you could find better deals than at Radio Shack, but $1 each for NiMH AAs sounds too good to be true.</p>

I'd recommend NiCDs over NiMHs for this one appllication. NiCDs have a considerably

higher maximum current, and can thus charge a flash faster. Also, NiMHs give nowhere

near their rated capacity when used in extreme current applications like a flash, so the

capacity gap isn't nearly as big as the specs would make you think.

A decent charger probably makes more difference in the performance of your rechargables

than brand differences.

<i>They're not all equal. They have ratings in mAh (milliamp-hours). The higher the

rating, the more energy you can store in them (so you'll get more flashes per charge).

</i><br><br>

The higher the rating the more fragile they are internally as well, and thus more likely to

fail permanently early in their life from the extreme current abuse a flash dishes out. High

capacity also generally means greater internal resistance, and thus lower max current

draw.

I myself have a rather good charger (Ansmann) with single slot delta peak charging. I've been dissapointed by pricy branded battery packs when one cell died too early. Now I use nonames but sort defective ones out. NiCds aren't wrong; at least they last longer (- more cycles) and self discharge is less important than with NiMhs, as far as I remember.