Can I move images from my PC to my 20D?

tony_craig

Beginner question:

I downloaded images from the 20D to the PC. Can I format my 20D card

and move some images back to the card using the EOS viewer software?

Windows Explorer will not do it. We want to print out bulk images at

a retailer, which would be cheaper for our purposes than printing at

home. The retailer has a machine which can read all cards and make

4x6 prints for my wife's scrapbooking needs. These are Disney pics

and with over 300 images, we will not be editing them all for this

exercise.

Get a card reader for $10 and you'll have faster download to your PC without wasting camera battery power - and the ability to write files from PC to the card for taking to Walmart or wherever. Remember to format the card in camera, not on the PC.

Hi Tony, Sure you can copy files back up to the card. They probably won't display on the camera's LCD screen (unless you keep the folder structure intact, etc, etc) but if you're just using a CF card to move files it'll work.

Get a card reader. They're 20 bucks - and it's faster and easier. You plug it into your USB port, pop the card in and it shows up just like any Windows disk - you can copy, delete, whatever using Explorer; you won't need any extra software. Once you're done, format the card in your 20D and it's good to go for shooting again.

yes, my memory is that you should be able to upload from computer to card in camera or in card reader from zoombrowser. i think it is available through the download window somehow. check your menu options and pull down menus. but if you crop the images, they may be uploaded with black borders, depending on the crop.

gphoto2, which is free software covered by the GPL, will do this. I use Linux and the Canon software is useless, so I use gphoto2 for all my computer-camera interactions. It works great, and it is generally easy for me to download pictures from other people's cameras as well. It's a great package - free, easy to use, well documented. I highly recommend it. You can download it or get more information at www.gphoto.org

Beau Hooker - concise answers come with concise question.. maybe you are talking about those 'which lens should I get' questions. :)

Tony Craig - Yes to the Card reader. it will not only allow you to do what you inquire about,, but also download images to the computer faster.

BTW don't leave the memory card with the retailer. I have heard some bad stories. Burn a disk with the images on that if you intend on leaving the media with the retailer.