G-claron WA 240mm lens

frank_menesdorfer

Hello!

Does anyone knows what size the WA 240 G-claron covers? Also what

degree this lens works on? Knowledge please no guesses! Maybe

somebody have a kind of documentation on this lens from Schneider it

would be be nice to receive one!

Same informations on the Nikon Apo 420 process if you can!

Yours Frankie!

The G-Claron WA is a different lens than the plain G-Claron. It has a different design, so experience with the plain G-Claron doesn't carry over to the G-Claron WA. Schneider has two websites, one of the main company, and one of the US branch. The website of the main company has an PDF archive of old brochures -- Dan gave the link. The file g_claron_wa.pdf will tell you about your lens. Schneider specified it to cover 80 degrees / 787 mm diameter at f22 and 1:1. A simple optical argument says that the coverage at infinity should be about one half of this, i.e., about 390 mm diameter.

The Apo-Nikkors have been discussed on this forum before. The later ones, which include your 420 mm, are dialyte types, like the Apo-Artar and Apo-Ronar. Nikon specified the coverage of the 420 mm Apo-Nikkor as 46 degrees and 710 mm diameter at 1:1. Again, the diameter of coverage would be about half. Some previous discussions: "Nikkor 420mm APO lens" at http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003cSr ,

"Older ApoNikkor & newer Nikkor M... differences?", at

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004O81 ,

and "Nikkor APO 450mm F9 lens information needed" at

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BnqI .

Both lenses were designed for the printing and reproduction trades. The Apo-Nikkor uses a very traditional design for this application.

In contrast, the G-Claron WA was intended for compact process cameras that needed less space between the original and the image. Consequently the G-Claron WA has more coverage than the traditional process lens designs.

To Dan!

I Google Dan I Google, its juts that I'm a very restless person and this googling thing goes on only for the few minutes! If I don't find what I'm looking for during that short period of time than it's doesn't exists! Actually my googling is improving and goes over a much more relaxed style during the winter! It's a kind of.... colder outside more Googling inside thing and in the spring time, there is no googling going on at all!

I'm familiar with the Schneider site but I didn't find this one! I find the regular G-clarons but I didn't find the WA! Thanks for the info very educative!

To Michael

I knew that those lenses are process lenses it's just that coverage bothered me a little bit! The WA I used for my 8x10 for a quiet long time now but The Nikon is new! These questions come up with this new 12x15 camera I brought! Very unfortunately this camera comes into my life in peaces do to age and undergoing a very serious restoration! So I couldn't try the lenses!

I have checked all my prints with a lope here which I made with the G-claron WA and I so far didn't find any "fozzyness" as Jason stated not even on the large size enlargement I made from the 8x10 negative! Anyway I wouldn't know how this lens actually work on past down 45 because on this lens is the smallest aperture is f 45! I never stop down that much on any of my lenses anyway! So than this would not cover my 12x15 as I need at least an image circle large as a 600mm if I will have some space for restitution! Isn't that right? But as we know manufacturer is always very conservative with what the lenses actually cover specially with lenses for photography so you don't find yourself in the situation when distortion disturbing your negative quality! Now the process industry has totally different need and those lenses actually must cover sharp edge to edge! That means that this G-claron WA Actually would cover a lot more than Schneider give in their statement! Actually what they say here is that this lens works best on f 22 and than it cower a size 500-600mm. I figure that this lens is good for something like 700-800mm and than the average diagonal would be than a little bit longer too!

With this statement I did not say that the lens would cover 12x15 but Im going to try it anyway when my camera is ready! May be than I can see some of those "fozzyness" Jason talking about!

Thanks!

To Jason!

Now Jason, I really don't know what experience you based your statement on as I said this lens is tried on 8x10 and I have made many enlargements with out seeing any fozzyness on the corner of my prints! As I'm sure as I wouldn't know that either as I never stop down more than f22 or maybe to f32 in extreme cases on any of my lenses! I always try to resituate out of myself from situations like this! We are not dealing with X-rays over here!

As my technical knowledge telling me that if I do stop down I would undermine the quality of my negatives! There is a phenomenon called the low of reciprocity which is stopping me! This is really nothing else just some simple physics photon atoms! Really there is no worst for your image quality than using you biggest or smallest aperture on the lens!

Now observe that this you won't see as long as you don't have a two totally identical threatened prints on you hand photographed with different aperture opening!

Yours Frankie!

Frankie, WA G-Claron is mis-named. It is wide field. Same design as Kodak WF Ektar. Double gauss. I have had some 270 WA G-Claron's before but the 240 is less common. Never wanted one either as it is worse of all worlds. Heavy expensive Copal 3 shutter and covers less than normal f9 G-Claron 240 in nice lighter cheaper Copal 1.