ADVICE TO THE YOUNG ARTIST

hi ya'll. ok, i travel a lot, i hitch hike a lot, more like it and in not so very nice places. now im

looking into buying a digicam, ive been keeping a kin eye on the leica, the delux I and II my

doub about the delux II is the size, i think the lens is too big.

here is what in my world would be the perfect camera.

digital and light, very good cuallity pictures, luminous lens, small, unatractive this is vital for

the kind of photographie and travel that i do. the price has to be under 1000usd... well, give

or take.

ill be combining this camera with a mac laptop computer.

can you help me with some insights???

thanks, teseo fournier

why does it need to be unattractive? or do you mean you need to be able to hide it easily? any of the smaller canons are great im thinking the a95 (or is it 95a?) the powershot models are great.

Are you some kind of secret agent??

lol

good luck on your travels!

-zacker-

If you don't need a lot of manual control and are not too concerned with the low-light

photography (in other words, can tolerate a relatively slow lens), the Panasonic LZ2 in

black should work well. It's small, relatively simple and simple/cheap looking, and makes

excellent quality 5Mpixel JPEGs at its default settings of ISO 80-100. 6:1 zoom lens ...

38mm to 220mm field of view equivalent range, with image stabilization. DPReview.com

has a full report on it. Pretty cheap too ... around $260 when I looked.

If you want more manual control and a faster lens, you'll find that you'll likely buy

something larger and more expensive looking, as well as more expensive.

Godfrey

I suggest that you get a 5mp camera which will fit in your jean's front pocket .. I did this a few years ago with a Canon s20 which wasn't 5Mp but ... I felt pretty safe.

Today I would look at a bumbag sized camera and the Panasonic FZ5 with it's x12 zoom Leica lens and image stabilisation, becuase you will not have a tripod with you, fits the bill and with extra storage cards will shoe in the budget. And wear the bumbag across my stomach with a safety hook from the belt onto the top of my jeans so that if the belt gets cut all will not fall on the ground to be easilly stolen etc. :-)