nikon on the ocean?

dennis_d._hardenburger

This might not be an approropriate question for this site, but I'll

try. I shoot n90s and primes,my question is would you keep your

camera equipment on board a fishing vessal in the pacific for six

months at a time. I commercial fish for a living and enter ports from

Canada to Mexico and would like to have my equipment with me but am

worried about the salt air. thanks for any replies.

Dennis Hardenburger

I'm assuming you have some sort of locker you can put your gear in. Buy a good camera bag. Look in photo magazine or go to B&H web site for info. Make sure you have either a skylight or UV filter on every lens. In brighter climates you may want a polarizer filter. This will protect the lens coatings from the highly corrosive salt spray, not to mention the benefits of the filters themselves. Bring plenty of camera cleaning supplies-paper,lens cloths,cleaning fluid etc. When not using your camera and lenses make sure your gear is clean and then store in camera bag and put the camera bag into your locker. Don't store your camera in hot climates like the engine room. Your state room would be the prefered environment. Always protect your gear from salt spray. One last word of advice, have fun, you have a great opportunity to record your travels.

This may be a bit of a hassle, but you might want to try it. Keep your equipment dry! Sea air can be very humid, as you already know, and gets into everything. Find a large ziplock bag or some other water tight container to keep your gear in. Also see if you can get some dessicant to keep in the container as well (you know, like those little packets one sometimes finds in medicine bottles, or in Tiffen filter jewel boxes) One can also get the stuff comercially. I think it is called silica gell. Some of it has a built in indicator of water content--the crystals are blue when dry, and turn pink as they absorb water. Once they turn pink you can recycle them by putting them in the oven on a baking sheet, or some other equivalent process to "cook" the water out of them again.

Regarding desiccants: A good place to purchase desiccant in bulk is from Cole-Parmer in Chicago--(800) 323-4340. I recently purchased Drierite Desiccant, which starts out blue and turns pink when renewal is necessary, from Cole-Parmer. Had to buy 12, one pound jars @ $98.00. You can put the desiccant in tea balls, or drill holes in plastic film containers and put them in your camera bag, or better yet, in an air tight ammo case that holds your equipment.

Dale Smith

B&H sells dessicant in small packets appropriate for a camera bag. I believe it's called something like Moisture Muncher but I could be off on that. It's a few bucks for three packets and they also change color to indicate replacement.