Canonet G-III QL - light seals are now goop. Any advice?

My dad went to an action and bought, among other things, a Canonet

G-III QL in virtually mint condition except the light seals are now a

black, sticky mess. This camera should make for an excellent shooter

so I'd like to fix it.

Any advice as to where I can get the replacement parts. I'd rather not

cover the camera in gaffers tape.

I third Jons light seal kit. I got one for my Nikkormat FT-2. I was extremely happy. Not sure if it is really recommended, but I used a product called 'goo gone' to help with the cleanup, and have not noticed any ill effects so far. I figure the kit would do at least 10 SLRs - maybe more.

Isopropyl alcohol, which you can purchase from a drug store in small amounts, will quickly and efficently remove any rubber and glue remnants in the light trap areas, use in a well ventilated area, apply with a Q tip type applicator and any scape out gunk with a small jewellers screwdriver or similar petite tool, then fit one of Jon Goodmans light seal kits.

Isopropyl alcohol can be found in concentrations above 90% for special uses - the big box stores like Sam's Club have it very cheaply - also great lens cleaner. Lighter fluid is the universal solvent for these sorts of applications (as well as for reviving old lube and general cleaning). Both are volatile and evaporate quickly leaving no residue.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll order one from Jon on eBay I think since he comes so reccomended and it's specific for this camera. Also, thanks for the cardboard mask idea. I thought about laying some gaffers tape over it but I think your idea might be better.

Hi,

Jon Goodman alias ''interslice'' sells the best kit on ebay for $10.

I used 99% alcohol for cleaning off the old seals, every last trace actually. I repaired the light selas on all my cameras and I found that the pre-cut strips sold by Jon are no good because they have no adhesive backing. I found that that the grey sponge material Jon supplies is the best, cut strips 2mm wide. Lick the adhesive side to give movement when adjustingm it stopd the glue sticking immeadiately. You can replace the seals on the camera back and also on the door, giving double protection from light, water, and dust.

Cheers.