Fujinon-W 250 1:6.7

vahe_sahakian

Beautiful all around lens. For portraits made with this lens, refer to the work of Jock Sturges. For a time, and maybe to this day, this was the only lens he used. And the only one he recommended to me when I was just starting out at the San Francisco Art Institute and learning how to print in his darkroom.

W.

I was follwoing this thread also.

Do you think guys the Fujinon EBC multicoated 250mm/6.3 version is also as highly regarded as f/6.7 you are referring to ?

I'm quite a newbie into LF, will be following 4x5 field camera route (have yet purchased the camera, collecting opinions and offers), but just recently acquired a used Fujinon EBC multicoated (NWS or NW) 150mm/5.6 lens to go as a normal one for my soon to be 4x5 setup.

I will also be considering either 340mm or 250mm lens o serve as a long end of my future lineup, and noticed a plenty of Fujinon W (apparently multicoated) 250/6.3 lenses available at KEH, for instance.

So I wondering, whether this one is also as highly regarded as the one you were referring here in this thread (f/6.7).

Regards, Alex

Thanks guys for your advises.

In fact, I'll going to enter 4x5 area, no larger coverage is needed.

I'm aware about Fujinon A 240mm/9 and its popularity, however a bit small maximum aperture hints me for a dimmer GG image, am I wrong ?

Perhaps smaller wide apertures aren't as critical composition-wise on long lenses as on wide angles ?

Besides, is the A 240mm/9 EBC multicoated ?

The 240A comes in multi-coated versions. Just look for the lens markings on the outside of the front barrel. I doubt you'd find a single coated version of this lens.

Regarding the f/9: This is bright enough for focusing in 4x5. The larger apertures are most useful in the shorter focal lengths. But I have had no problems focusing a 183mm f/18 B&L Protar Series V on 4x5. I think you would have no problems with 240mm f/9.

Have you considered getting a 210mm lens when the time comes? A 240mm is sometimes a little long. But, for whatever reason, the 210mm tends to be the single most useful focal length in 4x5 work.

More food for thought.

Thanks Christopher, your note is taken.

I'm certainly aware about the popularity of 210mm focal length in 4x5, but it seems to me the gap between 150 and 210 isn't considerable enough to provide the coverage of 24/28mm - 100mm in 35mm equvalent I used to for landscape/architecture/portrature. Besides, I intend to own and use no more then 3 lenses for 4x5, so in order to cover the 24/28 - 100mm (35mm format) equivalent range by 3 lenses in 4x5 I thought 90mm, 150mm and 240/250mm would be the optimal choice.

Regards, Alex

Well, what started me on this was an eBay auction of this lens, it closed @ $565 (#7539719018).

What happened with the promise of digital killing all film and film base equipment, how long do I need to wait for this to happen? I am ready to get me some quality lenses but the prices are pretty darn high indeed.

Vahe

LF stuff is keeping it's value for now (MF seems to be tanking)

But you can get a 250 6.3 single coated for 469.00 at Midwest Photo or a 6.7 for 429.00 (under 8x10 - Midwests 8+ is usually closer to most other places 9+ and their 9+ is closer to mint) Midwest usually has a s good as or better prices on fuji lenses than ebay