Bubble in Summitar 50/2 common?

I went to a camera repair store to pick up my Summitar and Industar-

22. I saw some dust inside and asked the repair person. He said

these were bubbles inside the glasses. He said that old lenses such

as Summitar 50/2 have bubbles inside the glasses.

Does anybody have the same experience?

I think you overreacted, Frank; relax; walk, dont run.

Bubbles in Summitars are as common as muck. They don't occur as often in slower vintage lenses 'cos the glass was easier to make. They can however be a good but essentially unfair bargaining tool to get a lower price.

This used to be an FAQ in monthly camera magazines, long before anyone knew what FAQ meant. Time was that the manufacturers didn't know how to prevent the bubbles from forming. Leitz, Zeiss, et. al. had them. We were told, as Lee recalls, that this meant we were getting high quality glass. Probably Madison avenue marketing hype, but we believed it. Today we don't seem to see bubbles in our lenses (a sign of inferior glass, according to the same reasoning-but not really).

In any case, the area occupied by a bubble is so small compared to the rest of the lens, that the effect, if any, was certainly minimal.

Rob F, it was not marketing hype. High index crown glass requires high temperatures and extended slow cooling to allow bubbles to completely disperse. Back in the day, a careful balance had to be struck between destroying the crucibles and bubble dispersion, hence cooling times were necessarily reduced at the cost of a few inconsequential bubbles.

Advances in materials science have now provided crucibles that can survive the extended heat exposure required to extend cooling time.