Canon 5D Viewfinder Information (lack of it)

scott_sjostrom

I just bought a 5D after having a Nikon D200 for two weeks. One benefit to the D200

was all the available information just by looking through the viewfinder. ISO, flash

comp, exp comp, WB....it was all there. In the 5D all I see is shutter speed and F. stop,

along with the -2 to +2 exposure scale, and burst rate.

I've checked the manuel and found no way to expand the information. Can't this camera

talk to you like a D200?

I also notice that the information in the viewfinder only displays itself for 3 sec,

another thing I would change if you can?

BTW, I switched to Canon because of the superior sensor at high ISO, but it's not quite as

user friendly as a Nikon.

On the contrary, I found the 5D extremely friendy. A clean viewfinder means less

distractions from composition. Cluttering it up with unneeded info is a feature and

not a

defect in my view. Nevertheless, if you must view ISO in the viewfinder, simply press

the ISO button and it will temporarily appear. Actually I'd be happier with no info and

an even larger viewfinder. I have no problem remembering my F-stop, ISO or shutter

speed, but I grew with a Nikon FM...

Incidentally, there are a few other icons and bits of info displayed, e.g., AF, flash, etc.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I like to ride my flash compensator, it's a major inconvience to

having to tap a button to see where it's at. The 5D kills the D200

in image quality, just wish it had some of the features Nikon thinks about.

It's always a trade off, the EX580 has a cheap shoe, the NIkon SB-800 has

a metal one. The EX580 has a more flexible head & recycles faster.

Scott,

This is pretty sad. You have one of the finest instruments ever made for recording images, and you're complaining about viewfinder information. In 1955, the finest small format camera money could buy was the Leica M3. When you looked through the viewfinder you saw the field of view defined by white lines, and in the center you had a little superimposed image from the rangefinder that you lined up by focusing the lens. So you had a rough idea what the field of view was, and you could see what was in focus via the rangefinder.

And nobody complained! People thought it was great! And it was. And in fact it still is.

Agree with you Scott, it's a trade off. Wish Canon would do better in flash system and follow some of the things that Nikon did. But again, if Canon win in every single little thing, then Nikon is doomed and there would be no competition. We all don't want that do we? :)

>>Can't this camera talk to you like a D200?<<

Different strokes...etc... It all depends what you want hear.

For myself, I prefer a less cluttered info approach with "only" the basics (S/A/EC/ISO). OF course we all have different ideas about that...

The more "stuff" you have around the viewfinder, the more eye relief you need--which means the smaller the magnification of the viewfinder image. Also, the more "stuff" you have around the viewfinder, the smaller it must be, or the more complex the code has to be to give additional uses to each LCD.

There always have to be compromises somewhere. I want a voice warning indicator in Kathleen Turner's voice that whispers huskily to me when I'm in focus or when the highlights are blowing out. I've got a whole list of--ahem--appropriate phrases for her. Instead, I've got flashing lights and beeps.

<I> the EX580 has a cheap shoe, the NIkon SB-800 has a metal one.</i><P>

A different perspective: if you happen to have an 'accident' with your rig (like dropping it),

it's probably easier and less expensive to replace a snapped-off plastic shoe on your flash

than a bent or broken camera top plate/pentaprism housing resulting from too much force

applied to the flash mount. That calamity hasn't happened to me (yet) but I've watched it

happen once or twice.

"the EX580 has a cheap shoe, the NIkon SB-800 has a metal one."

This is part of the Canon design philosophy. They build their lenses so the mounts will

shear off instead of the camera lens mount breaking, too, so you can go on shooting with

another lens if you drop your camera instead of having a dead camera.

Yeah and Nikon build theirs so if you drop the combo, you can just pick it up and carry on;-)

I have used both systems and had the flash hotshoe snap from being bumped on forgeign objects. the Canon camera shoe is made of a softer metal (1N) and deformed a little. The base snapped of the flash as it was designed to do and a replacement shoe fitting was sourced. The hotshoe bracket on the camera was straigthened by a pair of fine long nosed pliers.

Same scenario with the Nikon (N 90x) except the camera hotshoe bracket did not deform and need to be straigthened. Just minor design concepts to acheive the same end.

Seems as tho you have plenty of cash Scott, just to jump systems on recently released cameras for relatively minor reasons.

Perhaps you should have just brought a 1DS 11 in the first place and saved yourself any problems and probably some cash!