Pentax SMC-A 24mm f/2.8

asimrazakhan

is this a good lens? i can't find the pentax FA 24mm f/2 so i found

a used pentax A 24mm f/2.8. i already have the pentax 20-35mm f/4

but thought the prime would give better results and i like the

hyperfocal scale on the lens. how do you think this 24mm f/2.8

compares to the pentax 20-35mm and the pentax 24mm f/2.0? oh yeah, i

got this pentax 24mm f/2.8 from KEH at 'bargain' rating.

thanks

i bought the lens yesterday and havent received it just yet. when i get it i'll test it extensively side by side with the 20-35mm f/4.

another thing i'm concerned about is the level of distortion in this lens compared to the 20-35 zoom. i'm guessing it will be much less than the zoom. actually i just recently got the 20-35mm and havent really had a chance to test it well enough.

i only shoot slide film, and when you project slides, all the slight flaws really show up. making 4x6 prints or even 8x10 prints doesnt show you much.

It's a lovely lens. I had/have both the K and A version. It is very light weight and optically lovely. It's the kind of lens you can include in almost any travel gear because it weighs so little; actually I passed on the 24mm f2 for that very reason, the lens was just too large for the kind of needs that I have, although it is an incredible lens. Admittedly the only time I have shot the f2.8 version has been wide open in darkish museums handheld so I can't speak to how soft it is, but its been a real trouper.

PS. KEH's 'bargin' is often other people's 'mint'. How do those people in KEH get off UNDERREPRESENTING their equipment and still stay in business? Didn't they learn anything from Enron? ;)