Well I have narrowed my selection of printers down to two. But which

one should I buy??? #1--HP 8250--newest ink technology and very fast

but various reports seem to indicate a few problems with this new

printing system. #2--HP 8450--older tech. but excellent results;

unit is quite large in size.

Has anyone had experience with either of these printers ???? Input

would be appreciated. I scan negs. with an HP 4070 and also print

from CF cards loaded into PC.and lightly reworked in PhotoShop.

I'm not that sophisticated---Just do a few 8X10's at home nothing very fancy. Consumer Reports rated the HP printers as best overall ( at least for home use) and I have used them for several years. I have an older "all in one" type and want to get a dedicated photo printer.

I've had no problems with an older HP, and it prints very good B+W and colour with no shagging around, and no clogging.

I've not had any problem with paper either, the Ilford Smooth Pearl looks gorgeous.

I believe you can request test prints from HP to evaluate, which may be useful. Is there much of a price difference? In any event, all printers have some problems, and by now the older model's quirks should be better known. You can probably get it much cheaper too, so can use the money saved on ink and paper.

In a couple of years, another new model with even better output will come a beckonning ;-)

Paul

HP Photosmart printers print beautifully on a variety of papers. They prefer HP Premium Plus for B&W, though.

The Ilford that people say doesn't dry is because they are printing on the wrong side of the paper. I print on both types of Ilford with seriously beautiful results but if you get the paper upside down, it will not dry properly. And it is hard to tell if you're not careful how you take it out of the box. Because of the HP feeding system you must turn Ilford paper upside down. If you're printing on an Epson, the feed is straight down and the top side is up.

Print something large -- you'll love it and it's not that expensive.

Conni

The only printers I would seriously consider would be the Epson pigment-ink printers like the R800, R1800 and R2400.

HP printers use dye inks that fade relatively quickly unless you use the swellable-polymer HP Premium Plus Photo paper. The long-term durability of swellable-polymer coatings is unproven, however.

Fazal:

ou are wrong about HP prints fading unless they are on HP papers. I have many, in regular sunlight in my office and apartment that are unfaded in 5+ years. Most are on either Ilford or Epson papers.

HP and Wilhelm Institute rate prints on HP papers at over 100 years. Ilford papers are especially beautiful with HP Photosmart printers.

I have six years of experience printing with 4 different models of Photosmart printers and have over 200 prints on my walls. None have faded nor discolored.

Conni

I use a HP 7960. I get great B&W prints and great color prints. I mainly use HP Premium Plus Matte for B&W and the results are top notch. Much better than any B&W prints I have seen from an Epson. I have also just recently started trying Moab Entrada Natural and Ilford smooth pearl. I am torn as to which of the 3 is better. They are all very nice.

The print life statement above is absolutely false. Print life is extremely good. HP printers are great printers. They just are not as popular as th Epsons right now.

I would go with the 8450 unless you need to size of the 8750. It is a beast. It will be my next printer despite the size. I used to print 11x14 in the darkroom all the time and I want that ability with my next printer.

I have had 3 HP printers now and have never had a problem and the results have always been top notch. They are not the fastest printers out there but who cares unless you are cranking out prints all day everyday for business.