Big Camera gathering in Ontario

rob_skeoch2

You're Invited

In the west they have grand photo destinations like Point Lobos and Yosemite Valley, while

in Ontario we have ..... Rattlesnake Point near Milton. OK so it might not be as great as

Yosemite but it's still a great place for landscape shooters and an interesting area if you're

part of the roots & rock crowd.

I'm putting together an informal photo shoot for large format users in southern Ontario. If

you use sheet film you're invited.

The plan is to meet at Rattlesnake Point around 9am on Saturday July 23rd, take some

photos and meet other LF photographers. If you're new to LF this will give you a chance to

take some great photos and ask questions while in the field. If you have experience in LF

this will give you a chance to take some great photos and offer advice.

Rattlesnake Point in part of the Niagara Escarpment and is owned by the Halton

Conservation Area. The cliffs with their ancient gnarly cedars are only about 100 meters

from the upper parking lot. You can get directions to Rattlesnake Pt at

"www.conservationhalton.on.ca". There is fee of $4.50 per adult to enter the area.

Let me know if you're interested, or have suggestions to make this day work better.

-Rob Skeoch

Rob, I live in Kitchener...I'd be all over this, but at that point I'm on the road to Gros Morne NP in Newfoundland with a car full of camera gear (oh, and my wife...). I hope you get some interest - it's lonely out there as a LF shooter and gatherings like this are a great idea.

Robert

Rob,

I own and use many classic cameras, MF and 35mm but so far no LF. I frequently go on the classic camera forum. I definitely consider getting into LF so if I could join it would be a great learning experience for me. what do you think.

Very interesting idea. Mihai, you can borrow my Voigtlander AVUS 9x12cm for the day if I can open my schedule enough to attend. You'll just need a light meter and maybe a small donation for 10 sheets of flim that I can load-up.

Darn, while you're taking photos I'll be packing my Beetle with a ton of camera equipment, two children, and of course The Wife. Yes, that is always a challenge! Hopefully that will include a dozen or so 4x5 shots from the Lake Huron side of the Bruce Peninsula, taken while on my family vacation.

This is a great idea, Rob, and if you have more gatherings please keep us informed. I have always wondered what that area is like for shooting, but I always seem to be in a rush to get somewhere when I pass through.

As for the gentlemen going to Gros Morne (hope I spelled that right), I envy you. It looks like a spectacular park.

I have a question for fellow Ontarian 4x5 shooters, if you don't mind: Has anyone photographed Barron Canyon in Algonquin Park. It is a very long fall drive that I have often considered. I tend to play it safe with the trails along the Highway 60 corridor.

John Crowe (from Uxbridge).

Baron Caynon is a great spot... although I only shoot B&W I'm sure it's great in the fall. I've

been there a number of times and plan to return after labour day again this year. It is a

long drive. It's a good three hours further once you get to the west gate of the park.

I was in Algonquin last week for five days, the black flys and misquitos are in full force

right now.

Thank-you guys. I'll have to make plans for that trip.

Is this it! Out of 10 Million people in Ontario, not even a handful shoot 4x5 and visit photo.net. No wonder people are amazed to see me huddled under a darkcloth in sweltering heat perched on top of some cliff somewhere. Take care.

Sounds like a great idea. I have been wanting to go back to Rattle Snake point and shoot with my Speed Graphic for a while. You can count me in as well as a friend of mine who also shoots with a Speed. I am very excited about it I wish it was sooner. See you guys there.

I *could* probably be there. I just haven't decided if I want to drive that far yet - or if something else is going to take priority as the date draws nearer. I'm in the states, so I also have to take into account going through customs, etc. When things seem more certain, I'll let you know.