FM2 shutter issue?

mark.brennan

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to throw out there a concern I have about my FM2n (which

I bought used several weeks ago), and solicit feedback.

I love this camera. Yesterday, however, when I took a picture on

the street w/ shutter set at 1/125, the shutter remained open (and

viewfinder blacked out) for as long as 1-2 seconds. Alarmed, I

advanced the film, re-set the shutter speed, and took another

frame. It seemed fine.

Just wondering if other FM2 users think this is something I need to

be concered about? Should I proactively have the camera looked at?

Or just wait?

Many thanks,

-Mark

<I>Just wondering if other FM2 users think this is something I need to be concered about? Should I proactively have the camera looked at? Or just wait? </I><P>

Well this is not normal, so I would be concerned. I would be cursing myself if I ignored it and then lost a priceless shot later when the camera fails completely. Electronic cameras often fail completely in an instant, while mechanical cameras (like the FM2) often have signs that failure is coming soon due to some mechanical function that is not working at all times. I would have the camera looked at.<P>

One thing that you can check yourself, and a possible problem that could have led to your experience is the foam at the point where the mirror contacts the chamber when it swings up for exposure. If the foam is old and sticky, it could have caused the mirror to stick in the up position for a few seconds, which would make the finder blackout that you saw. Touch the foam with your finger and see if it is sticky to the touch.<P>

Good luck.

Albert, Sanford

Appreciate the replies!

Albert, you may be right. I seem to recall seeing old, loose foam around the mirror right after bringing the body home and blowing out the mirror. If the foam is old can it be replaced easily? Can the repair shops handle this easily?

Sanford, to your question, it felt like an overexposre, as if I had accidentally set the shutter speed to 1 second, instead of 1/125 (I checked it it was set to /1/125). As if the shutter were sticking. So Albert's foam idea makes sense.

regards,

-Mark

It may be the foam, but don't discount Sanford's point. It is very much a possible cause, and so simple that I am kicking myself for not thinking of it when I first replied. When the self-timer is set, even a fraction of the full angle, which could happen inadvertently by simple handling, the FM2 will first stop down the lens and then flip up the mirror, giving both finder blackout as well as a delay (as the lever goes back to the starting point) before the shutter fires at the marked 1/125th. Again, so simple and it fully explains everything that you experienced for that one frame.

If it is the foam, it can be changed easily and not too expensively. Some people do it themselves from kits bought on-line.

The self timer is what came to mind for me too...I do it inadvertently on a regular basis. Know also that it's a good tool for when you want shake-free images at slow shutter speeds. It's kind of a 'poor man's' Mirror Lockup!