TC17E II with 300 F/4 AF-S

nick_davis

I know that the teleconverter TC14E II works with the 300 F/4

AF-S and retains full autofocus operation. I have been unable to

find anyone at the local camera store who knows ( not suprised )

if the TC17E II will also do this. Nikons website only states that

the 300 F/4 is compatible with the TC14E II, TC17E II, and

TC20E II. It does not specify if the TC17 retains autofocus

capability. And I am told that the TC20 does not, because it

restricts the effective aperature to F/8, too slow for the AF

multisensor in my cameras to function. If anyone has any

experience with this new 1.7X converter and an F/4 lens, or if you

know for sure that it will or won;t work please let me know. Thank

You

Nikon's stated limit for full AF performance is f/5.6 - slower combinations are not guaranteed.

However in practice, many people find that AF is possible in bright conditions, with a contrasty subject, at smaller apertures.

I don't have the TC-17E II, but I have used the TC-20E II on a Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4, and found that AF works pretty well much of the time. I'd expect the 17 to AF OK most of the time.

Part of the problem here is that the TC-17E II (there was no version I; Nikon calls it II just to match the names for the 1.4x and 2x ones) is fairly new, and most people already have 1.4x and 2x TCs and might not get a 1.7x one also.

I have tried the TC-20E on my 500mm/f4 and 300mm/f4. AF still works but is on the slow side and is not very accurate under dim light. I would imagine that the combo of 300mm/f4 AF-S + TC-17E II works OK.

I'm using the AFS300/4 with the TC17EII without problems, AF is retained on my F80 but I prefer with this combo to rely on manual focussing (focussing is this way much faster and the camera hunts less ;-)). Before I bought the TC17EII I tried the lens with the TC20EII, it retained AF too but the viewfinder of the F80 was too dark, so that I decided for the TC17E. I'd have never expected that the 1/2 stop between F/6.5 and F/8 could make the difference.