Period Weston for my 'new II

In a fit of pique ebay and 11 quid later I have just got a Weston

Photronic exposure meter to match my 'new' II. It reads about 4 stops

low, obviously a new cell is required. Measured cell, 45mm diameter

and phoned Megatron, they make loads of selenium cells and the latest

Weston meter, 'yes sir, for a model 650 you say, in stock ?17.50

including recorded delivery' aparently all (selenium) Weston meters

use the same cell. BTW the cell in this meter is stamped 1935.<div>00CxBV-24775984.jpg.f02c7d7b7e74521f54f3096dc57d81aa.jpg</div>

Cool. I just bought a <a href="http://www.diaxa.com/weston/westonfive.htm">Master V</a>

complete with case and Invercone (not off eBay, I can easily get my money back if it's not up to snuff). Seems that it's pretty much the same meter as the <a href="http://www.megatron.co.uk/euromaster2/index.html">Euromaster-II</a> which goes for around $300 US. I believe for about $65 Quality Light Metric can completely overhaul the V if needed. Then again, I need another light meter like a hole in the head. Just heard so much about these Westies, had to have one.

Afzal, since you've got a V...what are the buttons for (rt side, though the hole in the case, and the other one just under the left end of the display)? I'm not getting a manual with mine, I expect it to be pretty intuitive but I've never encountered a battery-less meter with pushbuttons.

Ben, and anybody else with an Invercone, I'd suggest getting a rubber band to put around the meter and over the Invercone. Eventually the little bumps on the 'cone wear down and the 'cone gets way too easy to accidently knock off. The little bit of light blocked by the rubber band won't affect your reading in the least. They're fantastic meters. We should all be grateful to Quality Light Metric for continuing to service them.

Ahh! the old Weston Master V pics gives me nostalgia. I went through 3 of them.

The first one got lost, the second got broken and I think I sold the 3rd.

The biggest problem, I recall, was that area of overlap between high and low scale measurements. The instrument sensitivity seemed less accurate at the ends of the scale and many of my readings were always in that range.

I ended up buying a Sekonic Brockway 'movie' meter. It was fantastic. Got stolen.

Now, I am an in camera meter man. Sigh.

The Westons, as fine as they are, become a real task to read after a while. The tiny markings that are tightly spaced around the dial will make your head spin after a while.

As much as I think the Westons are true classic selenium meters in design and the fact that most still work quite well, they become tiresome to use.

"I got rid of my Euromaster because my arms weren't long enough, LOL. I just couldn't see the small numbers in less than bright light or w/o my reading glasses. So, my non-metered M's followed soon thereafter."

Finally I feel lucky to have been really nearsighted all my life. Now I can just look under my glasses and see 'phone-book print at about 2" away while all my 20-20 friends are struggling with reading glasses.