Kowa 6 - Portraits in the Park

CE, it seems you've found a gem. A few gems, in fact:) if we include your 'models'.

I didn't know that at f/4 you can get the background so much OOF while still keeping a good DOF on the subject. These shots really really look good. I hope I can achieve a similar level one day. And i'm not talking about the camera this time;)

By the way, scans can be much higher - it all depends on their overhead. If they're scanning on a multi-thousand-dollar drum scanner or something, yeh, expect to get nailed $$-wise.

I scan - as do others here - on an Epson 3170. Good scanner, a bit of a pain for 35mm, but 6x6 is a cinch, especially if you have aftermarket neg-carriers. I do not have the AMkt holders, still get fine results. These scans above, aside from the obvious chop job for the example, are not cropped.

Nice shots.

I'm glad you got the Rodinal to work. Make sure you don't drop the bottle on your foot :-)

As for the contrast, don't worry as you can easily add contrast in PP or printing. It's much harder to remove contrast. The (lack of) grain looks good too.

Paul

CE,

Thanks for the info. I do have a scanner but it's an older HP 4470C. I can scan 35mm negs and slides but the detail just is not there. Can't do 120 on the scanner at all. Cheap 35mm scans done at Walgreens are far better than the scans I get myself so that should tell you something about the quality. I guess I need to either invest in a good scanner or just suck it up with a prolab. I found 18MB scans today for $12 at a local lab. Still way expensive compared to the cost of a scanner in the long run. I may just start looking for a dedicated film scanner. I have tons of negs I would love to scan and this is probably the cheapest way.

Anyway, I really enjoy your Kowa and other images. Keep it up.

Go to Epson USA's website - find the

<a href="http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ClearSave.jsp?cookies=no&oid=0">refurbished section and pick up a 3170 for cheap. (Hit this link, look for the 3170 listed on the right-side of page, or scroll down.)</a> Guaranteed to have been inspected and in working condition. If you need help, I'll even be willing to call you and walk you through some scenarios. All-in-all, very simple to get great scans. Lots of us here willing to help you through the curves.

Hey CE,

Thanks again for the info. Looks like a great deal. I am getting ready to go to Michigan and I just bought a 2nd F100 so funds are a little tight right now. But mid August,I am all over that scanner. Especially for that price. If you don't mind, I might get with you after I get it to go over some workflows. Plus, it's always nice to see other Kowa users out there. It's a great camera. A brick, but a great camera. I really love using it. BTW, I really like number 7 above.

With my scanner now, I just don't get deatils. The "Disgraced Angel" image in my portfolio has a lot of detail on the inside of the wing. When I tried to scan it last night, I lost all the finer detail even at the highest resolution scan. Very frustating.

Anyway, thanks, again for the info.