I need a UV for EF 17-40/F4

Xinca

I heard there are some problem with some UV. So can anyone who own

this lens and use UV please post the extatly UV name(modal) here. If

you can post the link should be even better.

I am going to order one from the internet so I have to make sure of it.

b+w or hoya should my best choice.

Tks.

get a B+W multicoated (multi-resistant) UV filter. In my opinion, if you leave UV filters

on all the time like I do to protect the lens element, this is your best choice. You

might also get the "slim" version since this is a wide angle lens. I have a slim B+W

multi-resistant on my 16-35L and it never comes off unless I'm putting on the slim

B+W MR polarizar.

I get mine at bhphotovideo.com

It will be expensive compared to a Hoya, but a worthwhile investment.

jeffrey stockton

Get a B&W MRC, but do NOT get the slim version. 2 reasons:

1. Its much more expensive and you do not need it as the normal one does not vignette on

the 17-40.

2. It does not have a front thread so you cannot use the normal canon lense cap that

comes with the lense. You get a black plastic cap that has a tendency to fall off and has to

be taken off before you can remove the lense hood. All very annoying in the real world.

You also can't screw anything else on in front of it due to it not having a front thread.

Link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=11994&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

regards,

I clean my Hoya (HMC & S-HMC) filters -- on the rare occasions when they need it, since I don't use them very often -- by fogging the surface with my breath and then gently removing the fog with a clean microfiber cloth. Easy, spotless, residue-free cleaning. If there's a stubborn spot on the filter, I'll use a lens tissue or PecPad dampened with Eclipse fluid first, then follow with the breath/microfiber, if needed.

I have a few B+Ws, Hoyas, Tiffens and even some cheap Quantarrays sold by Ritz camera chain - UVs, polarizers, 81Bs, 1As and NDs. Some are mutlicoated, some are not. I probably like the B+W best, but truth be know I can't see any difference in the photos between one brand and another. Definitely get something multicoated when getting a UV though.