Which adaptor to use Leica R Lens on Canon EOS 5D ?

imran_ahmed

I would really appreciate to learn about which particular adaptor to buy. I

have seen them drop in value on E **y (most offerings from HKG/China). I have

heard that all do not work well. The lens which I want to use is Leica 19 mm

and 100 and 180mm's. Thanks ! Is there any place to buy them in UK ?

To use the 19, either the lens or the 5D must be physically modified for clearance, the 19mm f2.8 does not clear the 5D's mirror. The 100 and 180's should be fine.

Any Adaptor should work, there's enough difference in R mount that making an adaptor which preserves infinity focus is quite simple. If you want to be sure though, go for a Cameraquest or Fotodiox adaptor, although those are rather pricey (a little less than $200US)

Hi Imran, Ffordes - www.ffordes.com - sell them for 79.99 GBP - look under Digital Cameras>Canon Accesories in the new equipment section.

In general the Leica lenses work well - I've used 28mm to 250mm on a regular basis, but the 19mm is one of those that won't work without modification on a 5D.

How radically you have to modify a Leica 19 depends on which one you have--the newer

version with the integral filters (and more elements for better correction) interferes more

than the older version.

My Cameraquest adapter is very nice, feels neither too tight nor too loose. But somewhere

along the line the system--19+adapter+camera--is 2/100 of a mm off register, doesn't

seem like much, but scale focusing it means wide open at 5 feet my sharpest focus is with

the distance halfway between the main focus mark and the 2.8 DoF mark.