Sigma 70-200 slow AF on D200

walterh

Hello,

slowly I get through using different lenses on the D200. I just noticed that my

Sigma 70-200 HSM APO seems a bit slow on the Nikon D200. I see no particular

difference with other lenses (other than what I would expect from the difference

between the bodies) but this lens seems a bit slow in comparison to use on other

bodies like F100 and F5 when I compare this lens to other lenses between these

bodies. I asked Sigma (Germany) if they are aware of a problem with this lens

but they said no.

Optically I am very pleased with this lens on film and on the D70 and D200.

Anybody else with this observation?

Walter - I use my Sigma 70-200 frequently with my D200. I have also used it with an F100 and D100. No problems at all to report. My Sigma 70-200 is the older non-DG version, but still HSM. I love this lens! I also use a Sigma 150 EX-Macro and a 100-300 F4 with no problem either.

About 2 months ago I shot an all day RC boat race in the sunlight, heat and humidity of Southern Indiana. Some of these boats can reach speeds of up to 70MPH. Here is a shot taken with the Sigma 70-200 with the 1.4X EX-teleconverter attached on a D200. I trusted the camera/lens AF the entire time and was quite pleased with some of the results.

I truly hope you get your difficulties worked out!

Greg<div>00HwfX-32190484.jpg.eb673089a8274dd4da9ed0665c32f731.jpg</div>

I might as well send it in for ROM update. It does not respond to the AF-on button. I did not care too much since it responds to the AF on from the shutter release button. But the slow AF is not acceptable since I use this lens mainly when I use AF a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the lens back from Sigma (Germany).

The turnaround-time was only a little over a week. Occording to the paperwork it was not only a firmware update but the electronics board was replaced. The replacement and shipping was without charge.

The lens now operates AF when the AF-on button is activated at the D200. Also the AF operation is much improved. The AF works pretty fast for the heavy lens and the small battery of the D200. I am very pleased to have my lens back in best condition. I guess I did not mention yet that the performance is great on the D70 and the D200 - even better than on film.

Cheers

Walter