istDs and Tamron lenses with Adaptall 2 mounts

don_lapschies1

I also have some good tamron lenses and have thought about going this route - i'd be interested in anyone's experiences. we're led to believe that older 'for-film' lenses don't perform well on digital (colour fringing etc), so it would be good to know if this is really the case.

I'd bet that there is no problem with the optical performance whatsoever - alot of these lenses are actually better than the current stuff. The only issue to be concerned about is whether the mechanical linkages work, and how functional the camera is without any electrical interface to the lenses. In all honesty, I don't know, but I'd like to before deciding which DSLR to invest close to a grand in.

My 90mm works with a KA mount, if I don't stop down further than f8. Otherwise I get a colored spot in the middle of the picture. I replaced it with the 100mm FA; no spot even at f32! - The used 50mm Pentax I have ("FA" but no focusing range limiter like my later 100mm) produces a spot at about f22.

My Tamron 70-210 f3.5 is a bit on the soft side. I haven't tested the 75-150 f3.5 yet; somehow I prefer shooting primes at the moment. There is a visible difference between better ones and cheap WAs.

Got the 90 f/2.5 SP on my *ist-D. Example <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/2492657">Here</a>

I had a "spot" problem on a studio shoot recently with this lens (only) it went after I cleaned the lens and I just did a test shot at f/13 and it's fine. When I looked more closely at the lens I can see some other spots in a line which make think it was a flare problem caused (or worsened) by the lens.

The lens is easier to use if you have the KA mount than the K on Pentax digitals

I had no Adaptall 2 or Pentax experience before I bought my *ist-DS and began shopping eBay for lenses. A Tamron 70-210 zoom (K mount) would stop down past F/16 on order, but in the camera's manual mode I was unable to increase the exposure appropriately. To my surprise, a similar A-mount Quantaray (don't laugh) lens was even sharper than the Tamron wide open. Adaptall 2 seems a rather awkward, confusing mount and I will stick to "real" A-mount lenses in future.