HI to all. I would like to shoot local jr.hockey team at games and

was not sure how to get lighting gear in rafters? I have read here

where other photographers put lights in one place or another, but

how do you get permision and all the other details, like do you

remove lights after each game? Also, who do I aproach, the teams

coach or manager or maybe the ice rink? One more, would you normaly

trade photo's for compensation of getting to do action shots or is

there any pay expected on either side? I have been doing sports for

years, but want to get better results than the photo's from seats.

Any comments on technical would be helpful too, brand, w/s etc.

AThanks for all help!! Michael.

Why do you want to get lighting gear up in the rafters??? As a player I find even the tinest flash from a fans compact camera a distraction, let alone several studio flashes blinding me at a critial moment! I can almost guarnentee there will be enough light to stop the action with a 2.8 or faster lens and ISO 800 film without resorting to blinding players!

If you want better pictures than from the stands, get down to ice level behind the plexi or if you can ask to go inbetween the players benches, whack your 70/80-200/210 2.8 or whatever on the camera and get some nice *frame filling* action shots....

I'm going to write a little article pulling together all the hints I picked up along the way when shooting hockey, watch this space and I'll post the address on here.

I would recommend talking to the PR director for the arena you are planning to shoot in and see if they offer freelance photographer passes.

I've shot at the Gladiators arena here in Atlanta and they give you a pass that lets you get right up on the glass. The also have "photo holes" cut into the glass that allow you to *carefully* take shots with no glass in front of your lens. I say carefully because sticks, pucks and players are all likely to end up in that hole. I saw a puck hit about 6 inches above the hole while a guy from an Atlanta newspaper was getting his shots in.

My wife and I were there shooting for a hockey magazine which is handled a little differently, but if I remember correctly the PR director told us a freelance photographer is asked to submit copies of his images to the team...but I don't think they charge for the pass.

I agree with Gary that 2.8 and 800 speed with no flash should be fine. You might even be able to get away with 400 speed if it's lit well.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the help. I have shot hockey before and know how fast paced and dangerous it can be. As for the lighting, I have been to the St.Louis Blues games and see the flashes going off for a pro in the corner at the cut out hole in the plexi. I know in other pro arena sports that the team or press photographers use above the court lighting for their work and what I have seen looks great. Michael.

Boy the only special lighting I have seen is for movies; training tapes; and in poor pickup league rinks with edison bulbs. Special goalie cameras in goals; and mounts in weird places happen too. Most rinks with decent lighting allow F2.8 at 1/250sec at least with asa 800 color press films. Crap that bothers players make good targets; or they tear it up just for fun. One old adult league use to sail the picks airborne at the disco mirror balls; fluorescent tubes; vapor lamps; speakers; ceiling tiles; etc. IF the manager or zamboni jock was outside a second the gorilla behavior would increase. I am abit baffles as to why one would need extra lighting on a modern rink; unless one is shooting another slapshot or a commercial. Some rinks can have lighting types that are mixed; or cause some flicker with filming and sometimes banding with a focal plane shutter. Getting hit by a puck hurts too. :)