camera that is user-friendly and will assist me in taking a great

photo. Bring on the advice!

<p>

Another question I have is about batteries. Rechargable batteries

seem to be the norm, but with the Kodak Easy Share I have just been

using regular AA's and it burns through them like crazy. This may be

a dumb question, but is this normal? If and when I do buy a digital

camera, what is the advice on keeping it up and running for longer

than thirty minutes? Thank you all in advance for your help!

<p>

Sarah K.<br><a href="http://www.viovio.com/photos/">Viovio.com</a>

I just made a decision based partly on Consumer Reports and PCWorld articles: the new Olympus C-5500.AA bats or rechargeable NiMet Halide,5.1 megpixls, 5X OPTICAL zoom, big viewing screen, pop-up flash when you want it, many options for shooting: different scenes, automatic, several of your own setups, aperature or exposure or manual, size of pics in pixles, +++.(The CD manual is 192 pages) One problem for me was the little XD cards that Kodak, Olympus and Fuji now use required new expensive cards and perhaps a new card reader. I like it a lot for a sub-professional camera. (I started with Minalta film SLRs then a Argus (yes,really) 5mp digital camera that took fine shots but was poorly made and had few options. It broke, so I picked the Olympus for $240 form 17StPhoto. Good Luck. Larry Wackerman

Thank you all for responding so quickly, First, to answer some of the questions in your responses: I don't know what 1Kg means, but I am pretty sure that I am seeking a point and shoot; I would say that $300 is my maximum (less would be better). The Olympus for $240 (from the first response) sounds great. Any more specific camera rec's?<p>I will definitely be purchasing rechargable bats, anything that's good for the environment is good for me!<br>Another Q: Is it true that more megapixels leads to a photo taking more memory space, thus less photos can be stored? Thanks again!<p>Sarah K.<br><a href="http://www.viovio.com/Photos">Viovio.com</a>

Here are four good alternatives.

Ricoh caplio R2: Great zoom range with true wideangle (28-135)and very slim design, but no optical viewfinder.

Fuji finepix F10: Outstanding performance in dim light conditions like evenings and indoors, but no optical viewfinder and poor wideangle (36-108).

Canon Powershot A95: Performs very good overall and have a optical viewfinder, but wideangle is even more poor than the Fuji (38-114).

You may find all the above cameras just too expensive. Then the Olympus 5500 is a lot of bang for the bucks (very much so for $240).

Try to find out what is important and less important for you. If you cant decide (you are certanly not alone) follow your instinct. a good tip is to read the conclusions at www.dpreview.com and www.stevesdigicams.com