Nikon to intro new bodies later this year

eos 10 fan

"Nikon, maker of the Coolpix series, expects to raise the number of

new compact digital cameras to 14 models this year from nine last

year. The company already unveiled two SLRs this year, and expects to

offer more later in the year." - Makoto Kimura, managing director for

Nikon's imaging products business. <p>

<a

href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=71000001&refer=japan&sid=aiQMqgn7BWHs"><b>Source</b></a>

<p>--

Well, considering that Shun is correct (All three of the DSLR's he listed were announced in

2005), it makes one wonder.

However, as the D50 has't officially shipped, it could be one of the two new DSLR's that

Makoto Kimura is talking about.

The question I have is how many compact digital cameras does Nikon really need? There is nothing to gain by flooding the market with models that really don't offer anything different. Nikon could learn a lesson from the 1980's when the market was flooded with compact film cameras. Six month product cycles really don't benefit anyone except shipping companies. My opinion is that Nikon compact line should have a $100 3x 4mp, a $200 3x 5mp, a $250 4x 5mp, a $350 5x wide angle 5mp (w/P,A,S,M) and a $450 12x VR 5mp (w/P,A,S,M). Models should be replaced every 12 to 18 months. Their DSLR line up should have a $400 6mp body, a $500 8mp body, and a $600 8mp pro-sumer body. Nikon needs to release a 70-300 DX ED AFS and a 70-300 ED DX VR AFS to compete with Canon's lenses. A $125-$150 consumer digital speedlight would be welcome. While I'm dreaming a $130 28mm f1.8 DX, a $250 18mm f2.8 DX, and redo the 20 f2.8, 35 f2, and the 50 f1.4 as DX lenses. A money tree in my back yard would also be helpfull. Konica/Minolta could buy Leica and convert them into a lens/optics house like Tamron.

"expects to raise the number of new compact digital cameras to 14 models"

I did bit of a double take when I read this, because it seems counter to what I thought was discussed back in March.

Nikon focus on high end DSLRs

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BgeD

We will know their plans as cameras show up on store shelves, but 14 models of 'compact digital cameras' seems like a stretch. :) -Greg-

An 8 or 10mp 'D200' with improved (much better than D70) viewfinder would be nice, please, Nikon.

Oh, and a sensor/filter that is edge sealed for worry free cleaning, threaded cable release socket, ISO 50-3200 and improved noise reduction software, a degree of weather proofing (Olympus Stylus Epics and Yashica T4/5s were weatherproofed and they are/were only cheap film consumer P&S cameras.)

Finally an FM3-Digital would be a stunning addition to the range and win over a lot of those with manual focus Nikon lenses. It would also be a 'first'. (Something Nikon need to get people talking nicely about them again.)

There are a lot of mixed messages and outright contradictions in that Bloomberg report citing comments from Nikon and Canon representatives. I see some positioning and jockeying going on.

It's not unusual for one representative from an organization to drop one hint while another rep goes a different direction. For every bit of legitimate information released they're also chumming the waters to see how the competition reacts.