Best Nikon ever

joe_margetts5

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite all time Nikon combination: F2AS black paint with a 50mm f/1.2 Ais...sweetest, best-looking thing Nikon ever made...and the view through the viewfinder is incredible.

Second favorite: F3HP with a 105mm f/2.5 Ais....add a 24mm and a 50mm and you have the perfect outfit for travel photography.

Too many. I'll list my favorites combination*s*:

F3HP and 28mm f/3.5 PC Nikkor. No hassle metering.

FM2N and 105/2.5 AI Nikkor.

D2H and 35-70/2.8D AF Nikkor with SB-800. I could do 85% of my teensy-format photography (which includes 35mm) with this combo.

F3HP (without MD-4--too bulky). Haven't used the F5 but I love my F4 with the MD-20 battery option--makes it about the size of the F6. F4 can matrix meter with virtually any Nikkor lens--from the oldest to the newest. F5 can't.

Bodies:

- FM2: perfect size/weight/performance combo with or without the MD-12 motor.

- N90s: not the best ergonomics but great performer and workhorse. Fantastic flash

performance with matching SB-25.

- F100: all the needed functions, perfect size/weight, great ergonomics and performance.

- F5: same as F100 with better viewfinder, speed. Too heavy at times, the F6 must be the

perfect F5 but I have no experience with it.

- D200: same ergomics as F100/F5, looks very promising but not much experience with it

yet.

Lenses:

- AF 20/2.8D: my favorite focal, super small/light, sharp.

- AF 35-70/2.8D: not a great range but so sharp and not as big and heavy as 28-70/2.8D

replacement.

- AF 80-200/2.8D: was heavy but what a performer.

- AF-S 70/200/2.8D VR: perfect except for that nasty flare when shooting close to the

sun.

- 400/3.5: great size, very sharp. I sold it to get a 500/4P but had some regrets. Heard it's

not too good with D200 so I might be fine.

My F6 has replaced my F5 (which still holds the bonds of my long-time affections) and my FM3a. The FM3a has the 45 p lens welded on for all practical purposes and the F6/F5 favorites are the 28 -70 2.8 AFS. 17-35 2.8 AFS, and the 70-200 VR.

I have an F70 that I don't leave the country without and consider it quiet, inconspicuous and competent.

This says nothing about the others which have their turn but aren't big time favorites.

Conni

I think no camera maker, even Nikon has made better camera than the F5.

Its little big and heavy, eats 8 batteries in no time, but its one heck of a camera. does everything you'd expect from a camera.

I can do without the vertical grip so, my second fav. is the F90x. I love the shutter noise and its solid reliable and now....very cheap now. Wow...what a machine. for my style of shooting, F90X is only second to the mighty F5.

I've used F3, F3 motorized, FM2, N80, EM, F5.

Without a doubt the best IMHO is the F5. Simply an incredible machine. Smooth, fast, heavy-duty, extremely capable. Really not that big nor heavy.

Having said that, I shoot w/ Leicas because I shoot street and don't want to be obvious. I also shoot H'bld. In hindsight it was a mistake to sell the F5, which I did to cover pricey Leica stuff.

I switch between the D2x and FM3a depending what is on the agenda that day. For walk around I prefer the FM3a as it is tiny and light compared to the D2x. For events and landscapes I prefer the D2x for it's speed and high image quality.

These are my usual combinations:

FM3a + MF 28mm F2.8 AIS/AF 85mm F1.4D

FM3a + MF 45mm F2.8P

D2x + AF 12-24mm F4/AF 80-400mm VR

D2x + MF 28mm F2.8 AIS/AF 85mm F1.4D

William John Smith,<br>

<br>

Nice tape job! Im jealous! Where can I score some black

tape like that?<br>

<br>

I put black Dymo Label tape over the bold white NIKON

on a pair of my black FE2(s) and used a sharpie on the thin white

FE2. I got sick of people saying, Oh, Nikon!<br>

<br>

The bold white on black draws attention to the camera and

covering it reduces viability. My understanding is that black

cameras came about as a result of war photographers being shot

as anything like chrome that sparkles on the battle field is a

sure target.<br>

<br>

There is a story about a North Vietnamese sniper, I think his

handle was Cobra, getting shot in the head straight through his

rifle scope. The implication is the both snipers were targeting

the other based on a reflection from the others scope. The

US sniper who lived simply squeezed his trigger first.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

I'll put in another vote for the Nikon D2H with 35~70/2.8D AF

Zoom-Nikkor. The 105/2.5 AIS Nikkor feels great on anything from

a Nikon F2As, to an F5 to the D2H.

<I>Where can I score some black tape like that?</I><P>LOL. Try a photo supply store. For

all you digital wonks the tape is used in the darkroom for various reasons. Also good for

fixing light leaks on view camera bellows and enlargers. Made by Bogen/Manfrotto and

Scotch. A black masking tape is also sold which is not opaque but would work for camera

blackout.