System Outage

bobatkins

There was a system outage today due to a database issue. Everything has been

restored except for recent forum posts. The posts do exist as backups, but

doing the restoration is a non-trival (and time consuming) process, so the

database people are looking at what the best course of action for that is. For

now it's better to have things up and running while the best way to resolve residual issues is determined.

Thanks for your patience.

Bob Atkins - Technical Editor, Photo.net

Thanks Bob (and the team) for keeping us updated.. (pun intended) :-)<br><br>

..which should remind us of regular backups of our own personal data.<br>I will lose about 40 Gig of picture data since my last backup ..if my hard drive packed up on me right now...

Hi Bob,

I am a new trial member, and my question is: being that I am new, the recent outage affects me in that prior to the outage, I was actually below my quota, and now it's saying I am well over my quota. I have read the possible things that can occur as a result of being over your quota, and I am just a little concerned that my photos may be deleted. I am unsure what process is done when the photos are deleted, so my true question is "Should I be concerned? or that will be resolved if the recent forum post are able to be restored?" I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into restoring everything and answering our questions.

Thanks!

Amanda

I had keyed one question and clicked "Notify me of responses" prior to clicking submit, and my first question disappeared. So if this is a dupe, please excuse me!

I don't think the issues are fixed. I'm still getting server errors when trying to visit members' home pages, and responsiveness is very slow. I couldn't get to the forums when I first tried this morning. Seems to generally be a mess.

I am in the same situation with Amanda and met similar problems with those described by Barry F. I hope this will get to an issue the sooner possible. I am sure you all are doing your best to preserve pn's credibility and prestige in the photographic community.

Database problems are always bad news. The decision to bring the system back up ASAP is good for us users but it can make things a lot more difficult for the hardworking system administrators recovering data. Working on a live system is tricky, and some glitches and fleeting performance issues are inevitable. I hope everyone will be patient while things are being resolved.

Hi Emre!

First I thought, maybe it's a browser-cache thing,

but tried then netscape, firefox and ie.

Nonetheless, no matter with which of them, I get this "server-side" error:

"Server Error

The requested URL cannot be accessed due to a system error on this server.

AOLserver/4.0 on http://www.photo.net"

Ok, here's another information which could be of interest for you.

When I sign-out, then I can view the page, without error.

But signed-in again, I get the same error-message.

Already, deleted temporary cache files of all browsers.