D200 Multiple exposure value auto calculated?

twmeyer

When selecting (as a theoretical) 8 exposures total to be combined as

one, and setting the exposure controls as correct for the overall

exposure, does the D200 make the 6 exposures I want that, when

combined in camera, make a good final histogram per my camera

settings? <p>Or must I calculate and set the appropriate

aperture/shutter combination for incremental exposures in order to

achieve the proper total exposure in the finished image file?

<p>Apparently the D2x auto calculates... does the D200? How? with

shutter or aperture changes? Can I select aperture or shutter as

constant and let the other compensate for the requested number of

exposures? Does it work in manual, or only in an auto function?

Thanks... t<div>00Fy6k-29307484.jpg.6ff538a40202fdbd35e1ee22fc0d6c32.jpg</div>

Excellent! and thanks x 2... t <p>since I don't have the manual, I'll suppose that's a yes to the subject title question asked... but is it shutter priority, aperture priority, program and manual, with shutter or aperture shifting according to user defined preference?

It doesn't matter whether you are shooting in aperture priority, shutter priority, program mode or manual. And the camera does not change either the aperture or the shutter speed when using the multiple exposure mode. Don't think about how we do multiple exposures with film; the D200 doesn't perform in the same way.

On the D200, when making a multiple exposure, select "Multiple Exposure" under the shooting menu, and select the number of shots you want in the multiple exposure. Then, while still in the "Multiple Exposure" menu, turn on "Auto Gain." This will adjust the gain of each of your shots accordingly to give a final correct exposure.

If you want to perform a multiple exposure in a manner more similar to how it is done with film, after selecting the number of shots in the "Multiple Exposure" menu, leave "Auto Gain" off. The gain is not adjusted, and you just calculate the proper exposure yourself, much the same way you do with film.

The "Auto Gain" feature works pretty good for what it is, and is convenient as heck for an in-camera multi exposure, but you can still do better in Photoshop. Of course that's a lot more work. Give both a try and see what works better for you.

If you don't have a user manual, you can download one from the Nikon USA website, here: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13796

Thanks Jeffrey. Gain... right. A digital "under exposure" made at the same f stop and shutter speed. Cool. I wonder what, if any noise might be introduced in the process... I guess I'll have to buy a D200 and see... t