firmware hack for my 300D?

jan_jarczyk

hi everyone.I own 300D and EX420 i found a few very anoying things

about that ( no auto bracketing , no flash compensation and i can't

control the flash power) so i started wondering "maybe firmware

hack?" but i need to know:<br>- where i can get one<br>-how risky

busines it is<br>-what i can get extra if i instal it

<br> thanx in advance<br>Jan

Jan - You can get the most recent version of the hack from the Undutchables website (http://www.gpi.dk/300d/). A good friend of mine uses it with excellent results. You can revert the camera to the original firmware if you don't care for the changes but I can't imagine why you would. I haven't heard of any problems with it. Good luck! - Mary

The Unduchables version is probably the best firmware hack for the 300D/DRebel. The Russian version started this stuff, but it has been improved upon. The best thing about either is the addition of Flash Exposure Compensation. There are several other good features added as well. These are both just light modifications of Canon's original firmware, and seem to be very reliable & stable. You install them just like you would install a firmware upgrade (copy *.fir file to card, insert in camera & turn it on). You can revert back to the current Canon version the same way.

By downloading and using firmware like this you could be aiding terrorists and falling foul of the Patriot act. How do you know that this software could not fall into the hands of terrorists and be used to take better photographs for their twisted propaganda or develop a combined nuclear biologcal and chemical bomb the size of a wristwatch that could wipe out life as we know it. You are much safer sticking to the Canon firmware which has been passed safe by the dept of homeland security. As a good citizen consumer you must obey all corporate advice for the saftey of us all.

Jan,

Get the hack, be it the Russian or otherwise. It works and it's worth having. I got the Russian (Wasia) hack that opened up (among others) ISO 3200, mirror lockup, flash exposure compensation, RAW+JPEG, setting the camera up not to fire of there's no flash card loaded- those are the "new" features I use the most. I've since bought a 10D which already has all that but my Digital Rebel still pulls duty as a backup, second body or lower weight alternative.