Studying street - any suggestions?

photoblogger

I think I am going to make a few more short posts like these as my memory is working on it.

<a href="http://www.schaden.com/book/WooTomAll00629.html">Tom Wood</a> has some beatiful, beatiful color and a B&W work. I found about him through the ISSUE printed magazine, which may or may not be related to this <a href="http://www.documentography.com">site</a>. I highly recommend that magazine.

I don't find C. Edinger particularly shocking, Maplethorpe had some beautiful yet shocking

images, Peter Witkin definately disturbing shocking images, some of the stuff in Hamburger

Eyes can have a certain shock value even in a wacky way. The photogrpapher who did the

series on drug addicts in Kansas City (was it Marks?), I found that work incredibly "tough"

and shocking, really compelling while hard to look at. etc etc blah blah, personal opinion,

blah..

When you have the occasion, go to a flea market and sort thru piles of older anonymous

snapshots. Ocassionally one will hit you, maybe not exactly in the same way as a HCB, but

because it is real in a way that is hard to capture on the street as an outsider. One of the

things that I find successful in street work is a sense of closeness or familiarity with a

subject who is still clearly the other. And this is what I think can be learned from these

snaps, because even tho they were often taken by a family member, in older candids both

photog and subject respond in ways that are different from today's convention.

<i>For the sake of those googling I'm guessing Jeff means Christina Garcia Rodero.</i><p>

Heh, yeah. I was traveling and probably should have looked it up. I always get her name wrong, but she's a fantastic photographer.<p>

<i>davidperrystudio.com </i><p>

David is a great photographer, but I've never heard him call himself a "street photographer." Most of his work is cars or "erotic." Only the Bordertown stuff could be called "street."