Polarizing Filter Questions

kerry_grim

I just orderd a Canon 70-200 f2.8 L lens and eventually I will

purchase a 17-40 f4 L lens. I am still a film user and will need a

circular polarizer which at 77mm will not a cheap item .

What are thoughts on a warming polarizer? Now I see there is a

polarizing filter built to Moose Petersons specifications. Does

anyone have experience with this? Also, what are good brands to

choose from? I am purchasing L lens for their optical quality so I

can not see purchasing a cheap filter if it would reduce sharpness.

Is the Canon polarizing filter worth the price? I will not be using

any other filters in combination with the polarizing filter. Thank

you much for your suggestions.

I have actually never seen a Canon filter. B+W and Tiffens and Promasters I use, including circular polarizers, and low-profile filters for your wide angles. Warming filter--do you shoot digital? If so that is a waste of money (easier to do in the software). Polarization is obvilously the only thing you cannot fake post-processing so get a good P filter.

I would consider the moose filter because it does correct the cooling effect of the polarizer filter. But a slim filter would be best for the 17-40. I would buy b+w first and Hoya second. B+W is one of the best filter makers out there, I own a lens with a 82mm filter size and its definately worth your time to buy them on ebay, you will get them for about 1/2 the price.

I agree with Don up there that if you have more than 2 different thread sizes, it becomes financially advantageous to buy a holder system.<br>

If you're not familiar with it, you screw on your lens a ring (~$12 USD) then onto that ring you place a filter holder (~$9 USD). You just need to buy rings for you different lenses.<br>

Cokin is the leading brand for amateur.<br>

However Cokin filters themselves are not of the greatest quality.<br>

After using some of them for some time, including polarizer, I shed some money and upgraded to Singh-ray filters. Their polarizer and color enhancer are amazing.<br>

<br>

Some reference link:<br>

<a href="http://www.cokin.com/">cokin</a>

<a href="http://www.singh-ray.com/">singh-ray</a>

<a href="http://www.leefilters.com/CPTS.asp?PageID=130">lee</a>

Hi,

These two lenses take the same 77mm size filter. I have a B+W 77mm Kaeseman MRC Circular Polarizer and I'm extremely satisfied, as it never grabs to the lens threads.

These can be found on eBay at huge discounts, or contact Freeman Ye - email: fye1111@hotmail.com - and tell him you're referred by Pierre Bellavance, or visit his website: http://shop.vendio.com/hkd

I've purchased many filters from him.

Pierre

I can't tell if the filters touch the lens on the 17-40 but it is scary to see how close the thin UV filters come to it. My polarizer isn't thin so I can't comment on that. On a full frame 17mm is quite something and personally I couldn't see myself using under 22mm on it. You may not need the thin polarizer if you of a like mind. It is common lore that the canon polarizer is expensive but not special. I personally have no idea. I really think that the debate about the value of multi-coat for UV filters is settled and most agree that the multi-coat is worthwhile. I think that since polarizers are supposed to stop the glare, the value of the coating is still unsettled.

Hey

I have the same lenses, 17-40 and 70-200 F2.8, both 77mm filter size.

When I was buying my lenses I posted a question here, got a slim for 17-40 and normal one for 70-200, they r HOYA, priced at 52 USD I think... however, I used Cokin filters too and I can't screw the filter holder on the slim filter - real pain in the ass when I want to use Cokin on my wide angle... then I have to change filters or shoot withouth the filter at all.

Might just dump the slim and get the normal that I don't have to change filters in the middle of shooting, hope this helps.

Martin