Puffins in Iceland around Sep 1

._kaa

I will be spending a week and a half in Iceland at the end of August -

beginning of September. I will likely drive around the island with

stops in places like Skaftafell and Myvatn.

I also want to get to Latrabjarg in the Western Fjords for puffins and

other birds, but I am somewhat concerned that I'd be coming there at

the very end of summer. Does anyone know whether around Sep 1 is still

a good time for the birds at Latrabjarg?

Any other advice about Iceland and places to poke my nose in will be

much appreciated...

I've been to Iceland twice, but never in September. Based on what I've read, the puffins will be out at sea then. We visited the Latrabjarg cliffs and got good puffin pictures in July. I would suggest you try one of the puffin areas on the more accessible southern coast first. See the responses to my puffin question earlier this year.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Bf5Q

We also drove around Iceland. Be aware that many portions of the main circle road and almost all of the secondary roads are not paved. We found them rutted, bumpy and slow to drive, so be prepared. This includes the drive to Latrabjarg. Allow plenty of time to get from place to place. Roads in the south and west are good. Myvatn was a disappointment. There are supposed to be 16 different kinds of ducks there, but we didn't see one duck of any kind.

Iceland is beautiful. The weather is often overcast, so the most dramatic light occurs at sunrise and sunset, which are only several hours apart in July, during the hours when most people are asleep. We loved Iceland. Concentrate on its magnificent scenery because the seabirds probably will be gone.

Take into account that at the 15th of September most or all places are closed for the winter!!

Nice places to visit are: Vik, at the south of the Island,and especially the Landmanaluger reserve, that special car for that area is needed.I took a trip with an agency driver, and it was very special. The Mivaten area at the north, has special flies that attack you by the thousands, you can hier a net hat against them or bring a trabsparent scarf... Puffins were not anywhere to be seen at that period, but you have to ask while there.

I hope it helps. Pnina